What's new
What's new

Help with a method of aligning a part with made features to orientate on the c-axis properly and accurately for op-2 on Haas ST-20Y Lathe

cjmoore892

Plastic
Hello,
I run a Haas ST-20Y lathe and program off of GibbsCam

I have a part with a .470 DIA. hole on the OD (assume that is set at C=0 degrees) that is drilled on my first operation. I need to flip the part for op2 to mill two slots each 90 Degrees from the .470 DIA. hole (C would have to be at 90 degrees and assumably 270 Degrees). I thought of using a dowel pin on the .470 hole and rotating it up against one of the jaws of the chuck and clamping then setting that as my zero but do not know fully how to manage it consistently. I have 50 of these parts to run so dont want to be stuck indicating every single part into orientation. Any suggestions, ideas, or video links would be appreciated.

I thought of using a dowel pin on the .470 hole and rotating it up against one of the jaws of the chuck and clamping then setting that as my zero but do not know fully how to manage it consistently.
Mark the jaw that you use and also which side. Check C orientation to the correct position for the slots and modify your program to suit. If you break down the setup and need to do it again provided you write down which jaw you used and attach the vice in the same position you will be good. This obviously assumes it's not a high precision relationship between the hole and slots.

Back