What's new
What's new

Help with Fanuc 18m on Northwood router

TriumphSteve

Plastic
I have a circa 2000 four head, dual 5x5 table Northwood router that has some control issues (Fanuc 18M).
We have replaced everything that I can think of and have scoured the Fanuc manuals but they were obviously not written for anyone without experience with the control.
I bought the machine used and Northwood send me everything they had on the machine including the parameters but they don't seem correct. The machine was cutting off corners until we tweaked one of the parameters, but it certainly is still not at it's optimum setting.
I have had two "technicians" come here and have consulted with another fellow but none seem to have a deep understanding of the parameter settings.
What I need is someone who really knows this control inside and out who can review my parameters and tell me if something doesn't look right and help me adjust them.
I am willing to pay for this.

Year 2000 should be an i series control. Not an 18m. A 18iM. Big difference if it is.

My advice is find someone with the exact same machine and pay them for their parameters. Maybe Northwood can help you find that identical machine?

As per Garwood’s advice it would be best to get parameters from the builder or a matching machine. I’m sort of familiar with those controls and can tell you that trying to verify or create a correct parameter list via a web forum will be very, very difficult. Even an experienced tech on site, will be challenged getting the servo tuning parameters properly set. Hopefully it is a full Fanuc control system (servo drives and motors). Hybrid systems where the builder chose Fanuc for the CNC and some other brand of drives and motors become much more work to get set up properly.

Thanks for the advice. Yes this is all Fanuc. One of the issues is that the motors make a winy ocilating noise when they are not in motion. I have changed the bearings and re-routed encoder cables, and installed new belt but haven't touched the encoders. If I move the motors slightly (.0001" at a time) I can usually quiet them down. This isn't a major issue for me but is telling me that something probably isn't right. I also have an issue with a few of the lights not working in the control panes buttons. Fanuc was smart enough to keep a low voltage on the bulbs until they are needed, I assume to keep them from burning out too quickly. These bulbs all have that low voltage but still don't light up when the button is pressed. I have changed the buttons from an old board I purchased but that only fixed a couple of them. I'm thinking that might be an indication that there is something else going on either on the control board or in the interface or main conrtol. One of the techs that was here said to put the board in the freezer and then bang it on the counter when it is frozen. Sounds sort of archaic to me. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the advice. Yes this is all Fanuc. One of the issues is that the motors make a winy ocilating noise when they are not in motion. I have changed the bearings and re-routed encoder cables, and installed new belt but haven't touched the encoders. If I move the motors slightly (.0001" at a time) I can usually quiet them down. This isn't a major issue for me but is telling me that something probably isn't right. I also have an issue with a few of the lights not working in the control panes buttons. Fanuc was smart enough to keep a low voltage on the bulbs until they are needed, I assume to keep them from burning out too quickly. These bulbs all have that low voltage but still don't light up when the button is pressed. I have changed the buttons from an old board I purchased but that only fixed a couple of them. I'm thinking that might be an indication that there is something else going on either on the control board or in the interface or main conrtol. One of the techs that was here said to put the board in the freezer and then bang it on the counter when it is frozen. Sounds sort of archaic to me. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Where are you located? Send an email to [email protected]

Back