What's new
What's new

help with Macson lathe info australia.

Hello Everyone, Thirsty 1 is the name of my 4.2 ltr diesel Nissan Patrol.
It was well named before the price hike!
I also have recently purchased a Macson lathe like mattybgt's. Best I can find so far is that it appears in the 1966 Macson catalogue.
I am in the process of restoring it. However I am unable to locate any detailed info. Have help from local blokes to rebuild some busted gears,
However clutch disassembly has me beat. Does anyone have the knowledge of how to pull this item down . or Can anyone point me to where this info can be obtained as every link on this site comes up with "ERROR". Thanks, Thirsty 1
I have the same lathe and have been trying to get hold of manual for it but no luck. Lots of interesting stuff on Macson or Mcpherson ,the most interesting being a engineers show at the Sydney show ground.The clutch on mine I had to pull apart as it was stuck together after some moisture got in it ,from memory there are 3 overcentre levers that have to be adjusted ,a bit of trial and error got through it ,
must say would have been easier with the instructions. If you are still having clutch issues I can send you a pic of mine to compare and the adjustment measurements .

Hello Everyone, Thirsty 1 is the name of my 4.2 ltr diesel Nissan Patrol.
It was well named before the price hike!
I also have recently purchased a Macson lathe like mattybgt's. Best I can find so far is that it appears in the 1966 Macson catalogue.
I am in the process of restoring it. However I am unable to locate any detailed info. Have help from local blokes to rebuild some busted gears,
However clutch disassembly has me beat. Does anyone have the knowledge of how to pull this item down . or Can anyone point me to where this info can be obtained as every link on this site comes up with "ERROR". Thanks, Thirsty 1
hi thirsty1,, i also have an old and large Macson from the 50s? and don't have any trouble with it.i have disassembled my clutch once but is it the same as yours ?? i don't know. mine is a 3 phase machine and i think the bed is 60 inches long. to adjust the clutch it is done through the top pully and into a screwdriver slot. does this sound anything like yours? hard to find info on them or date them properly.

I have found a source of details on lathe you presented in the photo.
That Macson Lathe looks very similar to the one I am rebuilding....
14 inch Swing Gear Head lathe Series 14 R.G.3.
Bed length of 1.200m and a taper cutting attachment.
The actual weight is 3 tons
I purchased a copy of the
1. Operators Handbook
2. Machine Drawings. (Not Cheap, however for a rebuilder very valuable information)
from "TRIPLES Manuals and Handbooks"

ShedTony and Macsonboy, appreciate your responses.
My project had to be put on hold for other more pressing issues including rebuilding Thirsty1's Diesel engine, Purchased a 1983 Herless Milling machine.
It to will take a fair amount of TLC to get it to where I want it to function, and let the normal rush of unplanned life events run me around in circles.
I hope to be getting back to the lathe rebuild very soon.
It has a 3 hp 3 phase motor with multiple belts.
1st step is rebuilding the ways.
Will be using a home made mix similar to Moglice and a DIY screeding tool.
2nd is getting the clutch working again.
would appreciate some advice on how to disassemble the clutch mechanism.
The drawing I have show cross sections and components of the clutch. However I cant figure out HOW to disassemble it.
I have the same lathe and have been trying to get hold of manual for it but no luck. Lots of interesting stuff on Macson or Mcpherson ,the most interesting being a engineers show at the Sydney show ground.The clutch on mine I had to pull apart as it was stuck together after some moisture got in it ,from memory there are 3 overcentre levers that have to be adjusted ,a bit of trial and error got through it ,
must say would have been easier with the instructions. If you are still having clutch issues I can send you a pic of mine to compare and the adjustment measurements .
That would be a great help. email is; [email protected]

Back