What's new
What's new

Help with purchase of Clausing 6913

sawmill7

Plastic
New here and just a beginner on lathe. Have a chance to pickup a Clausing 6913 . Has been in storage for a couple years. Was told that it was operating when taken out of service. Has only two face plates and turret for tailstock. No chuck. Does have older quick change tool post and collet chuck. Also taper attachment. I'm sure it will need going through but hard to turn down for price the guy wants. Please look at pictures and give me some advice.
I do have a 1927 southbend now with wall mounted line shaft that I plan to sell
Thanks for any and all help with this

Attachments

• IMG_20240513_142250808_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240513_142250808_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240513_142255256_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240513_142255256_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20240513_142302608_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240513_142302608_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240513_142316244_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240513_142316244_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240513_142320943_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240513_142320943_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240513_142342818_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240513_142342818_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240513_143030424_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240513_143030424_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
I bought a 6913 about 2 years ago. The hydraulic speed control can be an issue, but not to hard or expensive to repair. The variable speed pulleys are also always an issue-sometimes simple and sometimes not.
There is a Clausing forum with quite a few members who can give you great advice.

I have a 6913 now, and had another one until just recently. That lathe is mostly there, but going to take a lot of work to be ready to really use. Clausing offers many parts for the 6913, but they tend to be expensive and not as many are available as for the smaller lathes. As an example, I've been trying to get a number from Clausing to get a new cross-slide lead screw for mine (has a taper attachment) for four months and they're still trying to get a price from their suppliers...luckily mine isn't totally worn, but I have the machine partially disassembled to replace a few other things and thought I'd replace it while I'm at it. In short, parts can be quite a challenge.

Some parts you're only going to be able to find at a used parts dealer like Lost Creek, or eBay and just wait. Trying to find a steady and follow rest will set you back time and around $800-1000. I don't see the threading dial there, so that's something else to look for. There's no carriage stop showing, and no kickout plate on the left clutch handle (missing, not available commercially that I now of).

Considering that you can't power it up and make sure that all the speeds/feeds work, and the fact you're going to need to spend a bunch of money on it, I'd say something like $1K is max. I sold my first 6913 for $1,500 a couple of months ago and it was nicer than that one, and included a 3-jaw chuck, newer import QCTP, and a few other things as well...it was literally ready to plug in and use...just as a reference.

"Turret for tailstock" is not in pictures, but must be a MT shank turret attachment for the conventional tailstock shown in the pictures. Those things are not worth much. I think the threading dial is hidden under the front Travadial bracket. Some items on the machine could be sold for good money if you decide not to get it running: 5C collet lever drawbar and spindle adapter, taper attachment, tailstock, Travadials, compound assembly and other removable parts.

With regard to replacing the cross feed screw, here is my personal experience. I got my used 5914 lathe in 1984 and decided to buy a few spare parts from Clausing. One of the items was a standard (not for the taper attachment) cross feed screw. When I saw the new screw, I told Clausing the rough finish on the acme threads was unacceptable and asked to return it for one with good threads. The guy on the phone said they are all like that, but I could come and look for myself. I ended up driving the 60 miles to their Goshen, IN warehouse. They showed me a steel tote with their entire stock of those screws. Every one of them was unacceptable, so I got a refund on the one I returned. I asked them how the threads were cut and the man guessed, "die head?" If so, the threads looked like they had dull chasers and did not use cutting oil on some low machinability steel. I used the original screw for a while with a new nut, but eventually found a NOS screw from some unknown lathe with the same size acme threads made with a perfectly smooth finish. I spliced those good threads onto the crank and gear end of the Clausing screw and still use it.

The Clausing taper attachment screw has a female spline instead of the gear and crank mount. The crank and gear part has a male spline. I have a NOS Clausing taper attachment screw assembly with nut and oil fitting for sale. The acme threads are 5/8-10 LH and are 7.5" long and have those rough flanks, but no wear. The nut has a 3/4" diameter stem. I think the crank and gear and male thread part of this assembly is for a 49xx Clausing lathe, but the acme threaded portion is probably the same as the 59xx lathe and I know the nut is the same as the 59xx lathe nut. Maybe the acme threaded part and the nut will also fit the 69xx lathes. I can provide more measurements if asked.

Larry

Clausing taper att screw.JPG

"Turret for tailstock" is not in pictures, but must be a MT shank turret attachment for the conventional tailstock shown in the pictures. Those things are not worth much. I think the threading dial is hidden under the front Travadial bracket. Some items on the machine could be sold for good money if you decide not to get it running: 5C collet lever drawbar and spindle adapter, taper attachment, tailstock, Travadials, compound assembly and other removable parts.

With regard to replacing the cross feed screw, here is my personal experience. I got my used 5914 lathe in 1984 and decided to buy a few spare parts from Clausing. One of the items was a standard (not for the taper attachment) cross feed screw. When I saw the new screw, I told Clausing the rough finish on the acme threads was unacceptable and asked to return it for one with good threads. The guy on the phone said they are all like that, but I could come and look for myself. I ended up driving the 60 miles to their Goshen, IN warehouse. They showed me a steel tote with their entire stock of those screws. Every one of them was unacceptable, so I got a refund on the one I returned. I asked them how the threads were cut and the man guessed, "die head?" If so, the threads looked like they had dull chasers and did not use cutting oil on some low machinability steel. I used the original screw for a while with a new nut, but eventually found a NOS screw from some unknown lathe with the same size acme threads made with a perfectly smooth finish. I spliced those good threads onto the crank and gear end of the Clausing screw and still use it.

The Clausing taper attachment screw has a female spline instead of the gear and crank mount. The crank and gear part has a male spline. I have a NOS Clausing taper attachment screw assembly with nut and oil fitting for sale. The acme threads are 5/8-10 LH and are 7.5" long and have those rough flanks, but no wear. The nut has a 3/4" diameter stem. I think the crank and gear and male thread part of this assembly is for a 49xx Clausing lathe, but the acme threaded portion is probably the same as the 59xx lathe and I know the nut is the same as the 59xx lathe nut. Maybe the acme threaded part and the nut will also fit the 69xx lathes. I can provide more measurements if asked.

Larry

View attachment 439691

Bummer about yer deal . G-man , Clausing bought Atlas years back , Atlas made the Craftsman lathes . For the Craftsman folks if Clausing no longer stocks a part they have been supplying the end user with the drawing for the obsolete part . Perhaps they will do that for ya on the crossslide screw ? Can't hurt to ask .
good luck , both of ya .
animal

Larry

View attachment 439691
Larry,

Can you check the diameter of the lead screw you have to the right of the collar in the picture? There's an unthreaded section that might be 5/8" and then the far right unthreaded section that might be 1/2"?

The nut on mine has a 3/4" stem like yours and the thread is 5/8-10 LH as well.

The threaded section on my 6913 lead screw is about 9.25" long, so it's different, but I'm wondering if it would still work, just lose 3/4" of travel when retracting the cross slide towards the operator? That might not be that big of a deal to me.

Here's the lead screw I have:

fullsizeoutput_5f3.jpeg

G-man , Clausing bought Atlas years back , Atlas made the Craftsman lathes . For the Craftsman folks if Clausing no longer stocks a part they have been supplying the end user with the drawing for the obsolete part . Perhaps they will do that for ya on the crossslide screw ? Can't hurt to ask .
good luck , both of ya .
animal

Animal,

Thanks. Clausing will still provide the drawing for obsolete parts, but this is still showing as a current part. They're just not doing a good job of following up and getting back to me. I've called five times and each time gotten the "we're waiting on the vendor and will have to call you back" sort of answer.

I have the original I could copy, but I'm not capable of making the internal spline required. I'd love to have a rotary broach, but I wouldn't know how to use it :-)

Here is a picture with a scale. It seems to me that the acme threads are too short for your lathe. The 5/8" and 1/2" diameters on the end opposite to the acme threads match your part.

Larry

Clausing taper att screw 2.JPG

Back