What's new
What's new

Help with wiring a new Baldor 1hp single phase motor to my rotary switch

I am a bit confused about your statement: "i am going to just connect to the center screws instead of L1 and L2 with the jumper for power."

Just make sure you have the jumper connected to the input side of the switch, not the output.

allan

Your switch is exactly a 3 pole double throw center off switch if you remove the blue jumpers. It matches the switch in my wiring diagram exactly if you do that.

i am sorry, that was confusing. Red, yellow and blue exactly like you show only to the 3 outside terminals and the power coming in from wall with jumper to the 3 inside terminals.
I haven't had time to remove the old motor from lathe yet. The wife had chores for me but will start on that now. Then figure out how to lift new motor up to bolt in place before wiring.
John

Your switch is exactly a 3 pole double throw center off switch if you remove the blue jumpers. It matches the switch in my wiring diagram exactly if you do that.

Yes Jim, I've acknowledged that twice, I think. Unfortunately, he'd then have to install a pair of 'L' shaped jumpers to use your diagram. Seems like unneeded work to me.

allan

Jumpers - that's a tough one eh.

I have no dog in this hunt, but key here is to count the number of wires needed between the switch and the motor. Before I ran three phase motors on my lathe, this was my favorite approach. But it sounds like you're going to get him running just fine.

Allan and Jim, thank you both for your wonderful help. The motor is working perfectly. Forward and reverse. I could not wait to try out your idea, so I just ran wires to the switch and back to the new motor to check it out before I installed the new motor. Made my day as the old Century motor had very low torque and would not allow me to take any cuts. The lathe also came with a like new Baldor 3 phase motor besides the Century. The guy gave me the extra 3 phase motor also but i never installed it. I just bought a new Baldor 220 single phase instead.
again, thanks for all your help with this,
John

Attachments

• IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 14
Yes it would be a great motor. It appears to be brand new. This lathe is a 1986 model and the motor appears to be same. New from south bend. I have had this lathe for about 20 years or so. Just never had the time to really use it. until now. I did replace the spindle bearings with new when i got the lathe. that took some time to get right but now spins freely with zero runout using 10th indicator at spindle. I also just realized the spindle is spinning in reverse so will have to swap 5 and 8.
John

I have a South Bend Heavy 10 lathe with a Kun Hung rotary drum switch that came new with the lathe. I purchased a new Baldor 1hp motor for the lathe but am having trouble figuring out how to wire motor to switch. I know there have been simular post but no one had the same wiring or switch as mine. I would appreciate any help i could get.
thank you,
DagoView attachment 378684View attachment 378685View attachment 378686
If you don't have a solution yet, look at the attached - best way is to sketch entire circuit so you can check electrical flow direction. key is that their is a shift from start and run to change direction....red is one way - lime is the other - this is very simple when all points are shown,1672627188734.png

Last edited:
I actually have it working perfectly, but thanks for trying.
see above post.

Back