What's new
What's new

Hendey 12x54

cro-magnum

Plastic
I have no idea how to post pics here. I'm new to Photobucket and Practical Machinist so bare with me. I took a look at a 12x54 Hendey yesterday, I have some pics that hopefully you can all see?!?!?!. I read here about the location of the serial number but forgot the details by the time I made it to the machine. I should be able to talk the owner through finding it now so no biggie.

In the mean time does anyone have some insight on this machine. It appears that all the oil intended for it's gear train is now in the swarf pan. Nothing is stuck on the machine but it very dirty and gummed up. This machine works but will need a weekend of cleaning to be ready to play (I mean find out what else it needs).

I have read many of the theads here so I have a grasp of what this machine is all about. I see some machines here in working order around $1000. His asking price is $1500, but has committed to less.

I am lucky enough that I live in AZ I hope Hendeyman may have some parts this thing is laking.

P1010169-1.jpg

P1010164-1.jpg

P1010165-1.jpg

P1010162-1.jpg

P1010163-1.jpg

Unless there's a lot of stuff that comes with it that's not in the pics, that's a very naked lathe. You could easily spend more tooling it up, than on the lathe itself.

John,

Thanks for the link I have scanned over that before. I'll look at it in more depth.

Unless there's a lot of stuff that comes with it that's not in the pics, that's a very naked lathe. You could easily spend more tooling it up, than on the lathe itself.

Yeah I felt it was a bit high for what it has. I also wonder how many of these machines made it to the south west. This is the first Hendey I have seen, never really looked for one either though. My dad speaks highly of Hendey and from what I saw in person I understand why.

Travis

Oh, they are definitely well built and fine machines. Nothing against the machine itself, just gonna cost you more bucks to get it to where you can actually make anything with it. There's not even a toolpost or holders there.

Another thing you need to look at on price, How many Lathes do you find for sale in AZ?

The price maybe high for here but it depends on location, extra chucks, tool post and other thing that mite be with it.

I'd see what he has to go with it and go from there..

Paul

I can do without collets and anything to do with the tail stock. If a job demands it I could just clamp some 5c's in the jaw. All of my work is in small fitting to anchor handrails into walls and floors. So now you are wondering why such a big machine. The only reason is I prefer overkill in most situations and space is not an issue (yet). I could even use a turret for most of my work but they seem to need specialty tooling.

I have access to a modern machine center for making obsolete parts, I can scrounge up a tool post and bits also.

I left a message for the owner to locate the serial number so that should generate Hendeyman's interest.

How many Hendey's have you seen in AZ Hendeyman?

Thanks
Travis

cro-magnum:

While I do agree with what has been said by other forum members, I think that this lathe
offers one bonus, its length. Most of the Hendeys in my shop have the 30 inch center
distance and serve well for maybe 90% of the work I do. For the other 10% I have
lathes with longer beds, up to twenty feet. Having the 54 inch center distance is a
bonus.

Mike C. is correct about the amount of tooling versus the price, I would definitely try
to get the seller to lower his asking price. Since I am cleaning out supplus items in my
shop, I may be able to put together a package deal on the tooling you need, PM me.

I have been away from most of the shops in Tucson for almost thirty years, so I don't
have any idea of the number of Hendey lathes and shapers in the area. I never did any
business in Phoenix or the rest of the State, but from the correspondence I have re-
cieved, the number is fairly low. Except for the Hendey products in my shop (which seem
to be breeding in captivity), I know of only two other hendey lathes in the southeastern
corner of Arizona, one at McNeal and the other in Douglas. About thirty years ago,
there was a 14 x 30 geared head lathe at Collins Machinery in Bisbee, but Larry Collins
sold it to a man in Colorado. It would require a very time consuming search to determine
how many Hendey lathes were sold in Arizona prior to statehood in 1912, but I have been
doing just that when I get the extra time.

Hendeyman

Back