What's new
What's new

Hendey 14 x 54 18 Speed Information Serial # 37903H991 Located Central Michigan

ksmmoto

Plastic
Hendyman if you can help
Neighbor collects Hendy's, he told me your the person to ask.

Hendey 14 x 54 18 Speed Information Serial # 37903H991 Located Central Michigan.

Thanks, Kevin

ksmmoto:

Hendey lathe No.37903H991, 14" x 54", 18 speed, Geared Head model was completed on December 13, 1951. The following
information was taken from the original Order Form. Any information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered: - June 15, 1951
Date Started: - June 18, 1951
Sold to: - The Timken-Detroit Axle Company, 100 Clark Avenue, Detroit 9, Michigan
Ship to: - the above
Wanted: - Rating DO-19, Cont. DA-20-018-ORD-11447
Via: -
Sold by: - Associated Machinery
Description: - 14" x 54" - 18 Speed Geared Head Lathe CR (Compound Rest) - to swing 16-1/2"
GROUND BED - Oil Pan - Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog) with Thread Chasing Dial
Timken Roller Bearings on Main Spindle - Multiple Splined Shafts
Taper Spindle Nose - Spindle Speeds - 19 to 1000 RPM
High Speed Reversing Mechanism
Taper Attachment
Drawing-in Attachment and set of 15 - #6 Collets from 1/8" to 1" inclusive by 16ths complete with
cabinet
Furnish and Fit 12" 4-jaw steel body Cushman Independent chuck
Furnish and Fit 10" 3-jaw steel body Cushman Universal chuck
Arranged for Vee Belt Connected Motor drive with Motor in Cabinet Leg
Furnish and Fit 5 HP Ball Bearing Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled Motor, frame 284, 440 volts,
3 Phase, 60 cycles, 1200 RPM
Furnish and Fit Combination Starter with 440/110 volt non-fused control circuit transformer
and start-reverse-stop push button station for reversing control
Furnish according to J. I. C. Standards
Fit leveling screws
Chrome plate Handwheels, Handles and Levers

There are very few Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are
still in the files, so parts can be made if required. The "H" in the Serial Number indicates that the Bed was Induction Hardened and Ground. It was the 991th bed so treated. In May 1959, it was owned by Rockwell Standards Corporation,
Newark, Ohio. NOTE: The original owner was the Ohio Axle and Gear Division-Timken-Detroit Axle Company, Newark,
Ohio.

Hendeyman

Here is a link to a publication by the Detroit- Timken Axle Co.
The original owner of your lathe .
I had posted it in post 21 and an other Timken book in post 22 of this thread .
Jim

Back