What's new
What's new

Hendey cross feed dial leaking oil

Froneck

Titanium
I have a 14" Hendey 1950 vintage 18 speed. Runs great! But cross feed dial leaks oil. Not much only a few drops but it covers the dial so that when working close I need to wipe the dial clean. I can't remember all I did a while ago but do remember putting an O ring to stop the oil and it worked great but is leaking again. If I recall the problem is the shaft has a key slot so that when using the taper attachment the the cross feed shaft can move in and out thru the feed gear. I don't have a taper attachment, there is a Hendey made original casting so that now when the taper lock screw is tightened it will lock the slide. I have thought of from time to time to remove the shaft and shorten it since it will never move and sticks out quite a bit. Maybe fill the 1" of the key slot with epoxy and grove the shaft for an O Ring of the section in the housing since the key slot is used for the dial and cross feed handle too. But I don't need another project at this time. Any suggestions?
One thing I did do and like very much is when working on the leak I put the dial in the mill. Put a pointed wiggler in the spindle and true it. I then put the dial in the vise against a stop rolled it so the the wiggler point was as close to the zero line when 1/2 the dial diameter away from the stop. I then used a 1/8" end mill and made a round shallow flat bottom hole in the knurl. Filled it with Bright Red fingernail polish. Cleaned the 0 with sharp object to remove all crud. Filled it with Bright Red too. Now 0 is easy to find, did the same with my 2 carriage stops! Put clear floor "wax" over the dial and all remains easy to read!

I have the next size up Hendey from yours, 1953 and very lightly used. It does not leak oil at the cross feed dial. My 45 vintage T&G (converted to oil lube) which has been well used also does not leak at the dial. Now my well used mid 50's South Bend heavy 10 leaks more from the dial than anywhere else! Since you don't have a taper attachment why not locktite in some keystock and turn it round where it goes through the adapter? Cut a groove in the adapter and fit an X ring in there - should take care of your weeping dial.

Back