What's new
What's new

Hendey gearhead 12x30

ir9074

Aluminum
Hi all.
I've just brought home a 12x30 geared head 22 speed Hendey.
It's got an L1 taper, plain spindle bearings, metric changegears and a fixed steady. Its a 12 speed, number 32831. Everything works, but it needs a good clean!
Perhaps Hendeyman might be able to inform me of its build date? I'm guessing 1938.
It came with a T2 toolpost and three holders. It has the bedstop, but sadly no taper Turner. Everything works well and nothing is broken, which is amazing. The quality seems high and the synchro cones on the leadscrew reverse make the action lovely. Picture before collection. Ian291134908_468667875261451_3317529472240829778_n.jpg

In my book no taper attachment is a plus.
I guess if you need it you need it but I owned a lathe with one for ten years and never used it. All my taper turning needs were short and steep which required them to be done with the compound.
Nice lathe. What is your location ?

In my book no taper attachment is a plus.
I guess if you need it you need it but I owned a lathe with one for ten years and never used it. All my taper turning needs were short and steep which required them to be done with the compound.
Nice lathe. What is your location ?
I'm uk based. I rarely need a taper Turner, but they can be useful. For a while I had one set up all the time for making taper pins.

Hi all.
It's got an L1 taper, plain spindle bearings, metric changegears and a fixed steady. Its a 12 speed, number 32831. Everything works, but it needs a good clean!
Perhaps Hendeyman might be able to inform me of its build date? I'm guessing 1938.
It came with a T2 toolpost and three holders. It has the bedstop, but sadly no taper Turner. Everything works well and nothing is broken, which is amazing. The quality seems high and the synchro cones on the leadscrew reverse make the action lovely. Picture before collection. IanView attachment 374701
Hi all.
It came with a T2 toolpost and three holders. It has the bedstop, but sadly no taper Turner. Everything works well and nothing is broken, which is amazing. The quality seems high and the synchro cones on the leadscrew reverse make the action lovely. Picture before collection. IanView attachment 374701
ir9074:

Before I post the history of your lathe, allow me a comment about Serial Number Books. It was very kind of Johnoder to post
the page from the Serial Number Book. The information on that page is correct for the lathes if you keep in mind that the
serial number represents the last lathe built that year. The heading on the page would seem to indicate that these numbers
also apply to the shapers, THEY DO NOT. First of all, the shapers used a different numbering system and second, the
numbers were assigned to each size of shaper. For example, shaper numbers indicate the first machine of a particular size
that was SHIPPED that year, not completed. For 1936, the following machine numbers were assigned: 12" = 1612, 16H./
20S. = 1596, 20H./24S. = no production, 24H./28S. = 1497, 20H. = 1453 and 32" = 1287. Compared them to the lathe
numbers for the same year and you will see the problem. If you have a shaper you need dated, check with me.

Hendey lathe No.32831, a 12 x 30, 12 speed, Geared Head model was completed on April 25, 1942. The following information was taken from the original Order Form. Any information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered: - October 13, 1941
Dare Started: - October 28, 1941
Sold to: - War Department, Hartford Ordnance District, 95 State Street, Springfield, Massachusetts
(British Ministry of War Transport, New York City, New York)
Ship to: - To Follow
Via: - Government Bill of Lading
Marks: - To Follow
TO BE INSPECTED BY ORDNANCE DEPARTMENT
Desciption: - 12" x 30" - 12 Speed Geared Head Lathe CR (Compound Rest) - to swing 14-1/2"
Oil Pan
Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog)
Plain Bearings on Main spindle - Multiple Splined Shafts
Taper Spindle Speeds - 19 to 596 R.P.M.
High Speed reversing Mechanism
Pump and Piping - 420 volts, 3 phase, 50 cycles
Four Way Tool Block (McCrosky style "O", 4-1/2" square)
New Style Follow Rest (Bridge Type)
Furnish and Fit 10" 3 jaw steel body universal chuck
Arranged for vee belt connected motor drive with motor in cabinet leg
Customer will fit motor and control, B.T.H. motor, 3 HP, 1430 RPM, frame K-3016

There are still some Patterns, Castings and Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still
in the files, so parts can be made if required.

Hendeyman

For some reason none of these replies came up in my email, hence the huge delay.
I'm very grateful for all your time and it's lovely to know when it was made. It appears it has survived largely intact, including the 4 way toolpost that came separately. The quality of design and manufacture was clearly high, as everything works perfectly and nothing is broken. The date and original owner confirms my suspicion that the lathe was a war machine, but slightly later than I thought. Ian

Back