What's new
What's new

Hendey Lathe

CarlJ

Plastic
Hello, new here, so my first post.
I acquired a Hendey lathe serial #13963 found in a old chicken coop, house. I have actually had it around 10+ years.
Used it quite abet, learning how to work around the worn parts to make what I want.
But since I'm retired it's time for a project, want to rebuild or at least make better than what I have.
If any information is available especially year of manufacture to add in trying to acquire parts or prints of parts.

Thank You
CarlJ

Hello, new here, so my first post.
I acquired a Hendey lathe serial #13963 found in a old chicken coop, house. I have actually had it around 10+ years.
Used it quite abet, learning how to work around the worn parts to make what I want.
But since I'm retired it's time for a project, want to rebuild or at least make better than what I have.
If any information is available especially year of manufacture to add in trying to acquire parts or prints of parts.

Thank You
CarlJ
13963 well before 1920 so I'll guess before WW1
Here is a "manual" from about 1920

Thank You for the reply and the pdf.
Its way older than I thought it would be.
CarlJView attachment 380694View attachment 380695
You might want to take a look at Patrick Black's redo

You might want to take a look at Patrick Black's redo

Thank you will definitely read this along with other articles I found on this site.

CarlJ:

When a Hendey Product was made before WW1 the information becomes a bit more scare, but here is what i could find.

Hendey Lathe No.13963, a 14" x 6' Cone Head model, was completed during November 1912 and was third lathe built that
month. It was shipped with a Taper Attachment and an Oil Pan. The original owner was the Delco Remy Division, G.M.C.,
Anderson, Indiana. It features the New Style Carriage introduced in 1906 and the Single Walled Apron, both items would
be redesigned, along with other improvements, by December of 1915. There are no longer any Patterns, Casting or Repair
Pars left in inventory for his lathe. All of the original drawings are still in he files, so parts can be made if required.

Yes, the email address that John Oder posted is current and active. After thirty-five years in the same location, I decided to retire and relocate. I have been selling off surplus shop equipment and to lighten the load, I want to reduce my inventory of Hendey Repair Parts and Castings. If here is some item you are interested in, let me know. All of the Hendey drawings, files and records are now relocated in a semi-trailer, a job that required five of us more than a day to complete the move from the shop. That may explain why I haven't had the time to answer technical inquires.

Hendeyman

Thank You, any information is greatly appreciated.
As far as parts, I believe the lathe is pretty complete. I think I can copy the screws and nuts for compound and cross slide.
The one piece I don't have is the connecting screw bed clamp for the taper attachment, it appears to be a casting.

CarlJ

Back