What's new
What's new

Hendey Tie Bar lathe #12881, any info?

chancey47

Plastic
I have a chance to buy a Hendey tie bar, cone head, lathe SN: 12881 (I'm guessing a 14 X 6). It is in a barn covered with years of dust and mouse droppings, but appears to be pretty complete. There is a 4 jaw independent chuck on the spindle, but other than a couple of Armstrong tool holders and a lantern tool post, it is devoid of tooling. It has taper attachment, reversing leadscew and travel limit. It has a Drive-all between the motor and the flat belt. I am used to my Atlas Craftsman, so this is going to be my first experience with a lathe that can kill. It is pretty hard to judge condition under these circumstances. The spindle does turn and seems tight, the carriage moves and seems tight, but it is hard to tell how much of the tightness is from crud and how much is lack of wear/mouse poop/rust and dust. I offered $250 for it and he accepted my offer. Now the fun begins, anybody have any advice? What year was it made? Thanks!

Pat Black's 14

I have a chance to buy a Hendey tie bar, cone head, lathe SN: 12881 (I'm guessing a 14 X 6). It is in a barn covered with years of dust and mouse droppings, but appears to be pretty complete. There is a 4 jaw independent chuck on the spindle, but other than a couple of Armstrong tool holders and a lantern tool post, it is devoid of tooling. It has taper attachment, reversing leadscew and travel limit. It has a Drive-all between the motor and the flat belt. I am used to my Atlas Craftsman, so this is going to be my first experience with a lathe that can kill. It is pretty hard to judge condition under these circumstances. The spindle does turn and seems tight, the carriage moves and seems tight, but it is hard to tell how much of the tightness is from crud and how much is lack of wear/mouse poop/rust and dust. I offered $250 for it and he accepted my offer. Now the fun begins, anybody have any advice? What year was it made? Thanks!

chancey47:

Hendey Lathe No, 12881, a 14" x 6' Cone Head model was completed during the last week of August 1911. It was shipped
with a Taper Attachment. The original owner was the Mills Novelty Company, Chicago, Illinois. Mills was famous for its slot
machines. There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original
drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required.

Hendeyman

chancey47:

Hendey Lathe No, 12881, a 14" x 6' Cone Head model was completed during the last week of August 1911. It was shipped
with a Taper Attachment. The original owner was the Mills Novelty Company, Chicago, Illinois. Mills was famous for its slot
machines. There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original
drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required.

Hendeyman
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to getting this lathe cleaned up and evaluating what I have. I love this old iron, they just don't make them like this any more. Had a 1911 South Bend, but it was pretty worn out, so I let it go. I will take photos of the progress. Initially the ways look fairly good from what I can see. The farmer's chickens are using it for a roost. It's in a barn in west central Illinois so it has only traveled 160 miles since new.

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to getting this lathe cleaned up and evaluating what I have. I love this old iron, they just don't make them like this any more. Had a 1911 South Bend, but it was pretty worn out, so I let it go. I will take photos of the progress. Initially the ways look fairly good from what I can see. The farmer's chickens are using it for a roost. It's in a barn in west central Illinois so it has only traveled 160 I since new.
I have a 14 x 6 tie bar and I live in West Central Illinois too! You must be north of me a few miles from your comment about how far the lathe has traveled.

For your enjoyment, another tie bar hendey which is for sale locally:

Attachments

• hendey_20_in_8_ft_1.JPG
    hendey_20_in_8_ft_1.JPG
    981.9 KB · Views: 22
  • hendey_20_in_8_ft_2.JPG
    hendey_20_in_8_ft_2.JPG
    976.7 KB · Views: 21
I have a 14 x 6 tie bar and I live in West Central Illinois too! You must be north of me a few miles from your comment about how far the lathe has traveled.
Hey Rick, I just got back and found your post. I am South of Galesburg about 30 miles (near Avon.) The lathe is in a barn just up the road a couple miles. We finally got it out in the open a couple days ago,and it looks like a keeper so far. It looks complete, a few broken parts, but nothing a little patient brazing won't fix. I need to get the pressure washer and Citrus Strip and start in getting the chicken poop and grease off of it. I have been getting my garden in and dodging rain storms, maybe I can get some time with it now. I'm probably west of you about 60 miles. I need to get some pics to post.

Back