What's new
What's new

Hendey Tie Bar spindle bearing/ thrust washer question

682bear

Aluminum
I've been working on an old 14" tie bar, s/n 24178. I've removed the spindle and noticed that the thrust washer doesn't contact the bearing face at all. When I slip the spindle back through the bearings to the point at which it locks into the tapered bearing, there is a .025" gap between the thrust ring and bearing face...

20210910_140923.jpg

I don't believe this was caused by wear... there is actually no wear at all... or no noticeable amount on the bearing face...

20210910_141042.jpg

I don't see any way for the thrust ring to even contact the bearing face to cause any wear...

What is going on here? Has the bearing been replaced, and never properly fitted? Maybe the spindle has been replaced, but there should still be wear on the bearing face from the original spindle?

The thrust washer is 0.182" thick... I'm guessing I need to add a 0.032" shim...? Or make a new thrust washer that is 0.214"? At this point, that is about all I can do?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this... trying to figure out how it wound up like this? Any ideas or advise is appreciated!

-Bear

Should be a thrust washer WITH a shim behind it. My guess is that the shim was left out by someone prior trying to get a better fit on the journal proper not realizing that with any end thrust, it is going to bind. Making a new shim of the proper thickness is probably on your horizon. Count yourself damm lucky to have a spindle and bearings with as little wear/damage as you appear to have considering the age of the machine!

Should be a thrust washer WITH a shim behind it. My guess is that the shim was left out by someone prior trying to get a better fit on the journal proper not realizing that with any end thrust, it is going to bind. Making a new shim of the proper thickness is probably on your horizon. Count yourself damm lucky to have a spindle and bearings with as little wear/damage as you appear to have considering the age of the machine!

I agree... but why would it need a shim with no wear on the bearing face? I don't think they came from the factory shimmed... I'm looking at the thrust washer, and it has a light 'wear pattern', but the bearing face doesn't... I'd about have to believe the bearing has been replaced... and never properly shimmed... IDK... it's a mystery...

I know it has been apart before... it wasn't assembled correctly. The thrust washer that goes between the cone pulley gear and the threaded ring was behind the threaded ring... against the face of the rear bearing sleeve...

-Bear

Here is the usual array of informational scans

In as least words as possible, the Thrust ring MUST contact the front face of the bearing enough sooner to prevent binding up the tapered spindle journal in the tapered bearing bore - which we have come to refer to as Hendeyitis

:D

All parts.jpgAssembled.jpgFront detail.jpgParts together.jpg

Last edited:
According to several people, the bearing material of the Hendey spindle bearings expands with the time causing Hendeyitus (or Hendeyitis). At the same time, the bearing material becomes rather brittle: it still work fine as a bearing, but it becomes practically impossible to remove them from the casting in a single piece.

EngineBill and a few others suggest solving the problem by lapping the spindle and bearing together with non-embedding abrasives, like Timesaver.

I am personally hesitant to take this approach and, if the bearing has not swollen too much to choke the smaller diameter of the spindle, I'd rather make a new trust washer.

Paolo

Back