What's new
What's new

Heyligenstaedt lathe.

You are right,and maybe your post is fix some vocabulary issues,and for that reason,I have put some fotos,to show the problem.Anyway,I think toye post,very ussefull,to another viewers,in way to indetified where the problem is.Thank you.

Very good English by the way. We can tell it is not your first language but the meaning gets across just fine. My post was just a warning that in a specialized field, like machine work, the vocabulary can be different between two English speakers from different parts of the world. So I do not know how Google translate deals with such issues.
I have to assume any manuals you can find for that lathe will be in German. At least photos and diagrams will be the same in any language.
I have no idea if that tool post was made by the same company that made the lathe. The basic design with a handle on top and four sides to carry tools looks like a lot of similar stuff made in different sizes over the years by many factories and shop made as well.
Bill D.

Are you able to advance the tool slide forward so as to observe the part under the slide. Possibly may be something to release the tool post from slide. Good luck.
JH
On edit: I did not see the previous pictures that expose the bottom of the slide, my mistake.
JH

Last edited:
Very good English by the way. We can tell it is not your first language but the meaning gets across just fine. My post was just a warning that in a specialized field, like machine work, the vocabulary can be different between two English speakers from different parts of the world. So I do not know how Google translate deals with such issues.
I have to assume any manuals you can find for that lathe will be in German. At least photos and diagrams will be the same in any language.
I have no idea if that tool post was made by the same company that made the lathe. The basic design with a handle on top and four sides to carry tools looks like a lot of similar stuff made in different sizes over the years by many factories and shop made as well.
Bill D..
Τhank you!Yes,english language is not my first,because I am from Greece and trully,I dont use English very often and I make a lot of grammar mistakes,and thats a black spot,on tecnical manuals,but I ve tried it as well.As for the second part of your answer,yes some manuals of the lathe,is on German language and really,I dont understand anything at all..I hope,to find a way to solve that issue,soon as possible,because,that part of the lathe,keeps me back,from diassembly some other parts and procced to a full inspection and a reconstruct,if that is necessery.

Hey, your english is fine. Just hang around here for a while and you'll see we english as a FIRST language folks make lots of blunders ourselves.

Not likely but can the ring with the capscrew holes be a nut?

And someone mentioned the cross slide t-nut. Most (all?) Euro lathes have no t-slot but a big stud screwed into the top of the compound rest.

BTW, what a beast of a lathe. I love it! I really love what looks to be a drip pan under the apron to redirect cutting fluid back to the chip pan.

More pics please!

Just to be clear - when you say it now rotates, does the stud rotate in the compound. Or is the toolpost rotating on the stud?

Any thoughts on whether the stud is threaded into the compound? In the last picture I cannot tell if there are threads - there is dirt in the groove.

What is the diameter of the top of the stud, and the bottom of the stud we see in the photo?

It seems possible the stud has been pressed in from the bottom, with knurling to prevent rotation - very much like a wheel stud. There could be a shoulder in the compound or on the stud to limit insertion depth.

The Ikegai lathe has a stud and boss mount of the toolpost. I wonder how they do it?

"the cross slide carried a top slide that could be swivelled through 360° and available in various forms - with, for example, a T-slot for the American market or various combinations of stud and boss mountings to take either the standard-fit, high-precision-indexing 4-way toolpost or third-party makes of a quick-change type."

Just a caution on one method you have tried. Brake cleaner is NOT something you want to apply heat too. It may soak in and you will think it is gone. But intense heat will turn it into something that can easily kill you and anybody helping you or in the area. ORGAN FAILURE! Sometimes just one sniff has serious consequences.

Just a caution on one method you have tried. Brake cleaner is NOT something you want to apply heat too. It may soak in and you will think it is gone. But intense heat will turn it into something that can easily kill you and anybody helping you or in the area. ORGAN FAILURE! Sometimes just one sniff has serious consequences.
Phosgene gas IIRC?

FYI: My Harrison lathe made around 1976 has very little wording on the controls. Just hieroglyphics of what the different positions mean. Open or closed half nuts etc.
Same deal on newer cars. In Canada things must be labeled in French. I think English is optional. So many things that are sold in the USA is labelled in French and English. Making shipping it easier. Of course a lot of Spanish labels as well since we border Mexico.
Bill D

Just to be clear - when you say it now rotates, does the stud rotate in the compound. Or is the toolpost rotating on the stud?

Any thoughts on whether the stud is threaded into the compound? In the last picture I cannot tell if there are threads - there is dirt in the groove.

What is the diameter of the top of the stud, and the bottom of the stud we see in the photo?

It seems possible the stud has been pressed in from the bottom, with knurling to prevent rotation - very much like a wheel stud. There could be a shoulder in the compound or on the stud to limit insertion depth.

The Ikegai lathe has a stud and boss mount of the toolpost. I wonder how they do it?

"the cross slide carried a top slide that could be swivelled through 360° and available in various forms - with, for example, a T-slot for the American market or various combinations of stud and boss mountings to take either the standard-fit, high-precision-indexing 4-way toolpost or third-party makes of a quick-change type."

The toolpost rotating on the stud.With that, I mean that the toolpost,is not stuck and under normal conditions,it will be removed easy,just with a little push is just enough to lift it from the stud,but in my case,doesnt.

Phosgene gas IIRC?
Yes, chlorinated brake cleaners yield Phosphine gas when cracked thermally Which isn't nearly that dangerous. One sniff will not do anything lasting. I know this from personal experience, when as a teenager I accidentally made some. I knew from the smell what I had made, and stopped. Took a day for my lungs to clear.

The toolpost rotating on the stud.With that, I mean that the toolpost,is not stuck and under normal conditions,it will be removed easy,just with a little push is just enough to lift it from the stud,but in my case,doesnt.
Is it possible the toolpost stud has a flange on it that is holding down the toolpost? Unscrew the stud and it all comes off? That is IF the stud is screwed in of course.

Yes, chlorinated brake cleaners yield Phosphine gas when cracked thermally Which isn't nearly that dangerous. One sniff will not do anything lasting. I know this from personal experience, when as a teenager I accidentally made some. I knew from the smell what I had made, and stopped. Took a day for my lungs to clear.
I did a google search some years back and some stories were one sniff. One guy had cleaned something with brake cleaner prior to welding it. When the TIG torch hit a hidden puddle he remembered a funny sound and got a good dose. I think is is liver failure first.

I did a google search some years back and some stories were one sniff. One guy had cleaned something with brake cleaner prior to welding it. When the TIG torch hit a hidden puddle he remembered a funny sound and got a good dose. I think is is liver failure first.
Wait a second. Beware spell chucker:

Thermally cracking a chlorinated hydrocarbon yields Phosgene gas, not Phosphine gas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosgene

Phosphine gas is definitely a one-sniff poison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphine

All the screws,are on the floor,there is nothing more ,that it can be hold the toolpost,with the stud.Until my torch,make the componets as a liquid form,to solve the unsolved mystery,I am searching!

Hey, your english is fine. Just hang around here for a while and you'll see we english as a FIRST language folks make lots of blunders ourselves.

Not likely but can the ring with the capscrew holes be a nut?

And someone mentioned the cross slide t-nut. Most (all?) Euro lathes have no t-slot but a big stud screwed into the top of the compound rest.

BTW, what a beast of a lathe. I love it! I really love what looks to be a drip pan under the apron to redirect cutting fluid back to the chip pan.

More pics please!
I will post some after the rebuild,the lathe is a beast!For now,I dont have many fotos to show the lathe,but the spots of interesting of me.Dont worry,I take some fotos next time for you!Lathes are very interestings machines!

All the screws,are on the floor,there is nothing more ,that it can be hold the toolpost,with the stud.Until my torch,make the componets as a liquid form,to solve the unsolved mystery,I am searching!
I see the picture that looks down the tool post stud. What is down there, detents to index the tool post rotation?
Is the measurement from the top of the compound to the top of the tool post the same down the hole as it is on the outside? I have to think it is a shallower hole and the detent looking nut thing is holding the post down. If what we see down the hole is the top of the compound then I think the tool post body would just fall off if you turned it upside down.

I see the picture that looks down the tool post stud. What is down there, detents to index the tool post rotation?
Is the measurement from the top of the compound to the top of the tool post the same down the hole as it is on the outside? I have to think it is a shallower hole and the detent looking nut thing is holding the post down. If what we see down the hole is the top of the compound then I think the tool post body would just fall off if you turned it upside down.
I turn it upside down,a lot of times,I fill it with a lot wd-40,but nothing.That nut,is a kind of ruchet,chesnut,something like this,and rotating this toolpost,it moves the tool itself and secure it to the position.This one,rotates itself free also.

I turn it upside down,a lot of times,I fill it with a lot wd-40,but nothing.That nut,is a kind of ruchet,chesnut,something like this,and rotating this toolpost,it moves the tool itself and secure it to the position.This one,rotates itself free also.
Is the center rod soft? If so, it could be drilled out and later replaced. Perhaps it is pressed in, or had the compound shrunk onto the rod, by cooling the rod and heating the compound until the rod slipos into the compound by hand. When the parts are at the same temperature, the rod is firmly clamped into the compound.

Not sure what a "ruchet,chesnut" is. A photo is the quickest way to find the English names.

Back