What's new
What's new

Heyligenstaedt lathe.

Is the center rod soft? If so, it could be drilled out and later replaced. Perhaps it is pressed in, or had the compound shrunk onto the rod, by cooling the rod and heating the compound until the rod slipos into the compound by hand. When the parts are at the same temperature, the rod is firmly clamped into the compound.

Not sure what a "ruchet,chesnut" is. A photo is the quickest way to find the English names.
Νο the center rod is hardened steel.Ι wote "rutchet"..keyboard mistake..I means "ratchet"so the same mechanism,is in the toolpost,in order to turn on the toolpost and after that,close and it tightens the toolpost.Its simular idea.

Attachments

• τ.jpg
    τ.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • κασ.png
    κασ.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 9

Not sure what a "ruchet,chesnut" is.
My guess is Ratchet and maybe Chestnut. I do not understand the use of chestnut. They are an almost extinct tree species in North America. They grow some type of nut similar to a oak tree acorn that can be eaten. The wood was furniture quality.
Maybe a reference to a nut?
Again English is confusing NUT is either to hold a bolt in place or a tree fruit. Spelled and pronounced exactly the same.
Bill D
Just realized there are what we call acorn nuts. maybe that is what chestnut refers to? see 2nd photo.

Attachments

• GPS-fresh-chestnuts-vertical-225x300.jpeg
    GPS-fresh-chestnuts-vertical-225x300.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 0
  • acorn nut.jpeg
    acorn nut.jpeg
    12.5 KB · Views: 0
Some more fotos from todays not progress work at toolholder problem..
When I look at the two photos in posting #15, a thought arises: In the left photos (ι.jpg), we see four threaded holes on a common circle. In the right photo (τ.jpg), also with four holes on a common circle, one pair being threaded and the other looking like solid hard round pins. It looks like these two circles are the same diameter, so one could rotate one with respect to the other, so the holes line up. The upper holes look large enough to admit an Allen key to unscrew a buried socket head screw.

When I look at the two photos in posting #15, a thought arises: In the left photos (ι.jpg), we see four threaded holes on a common circle. In the right photo (τ.jpg), also with four holes on a common circle, one pair being threaded and the other looking like solid hard round pins. It looks like these two circles are the same diameter, so one could rotate one with respect to the other, so the holes line up. The upper holes look large enough to admit an Allen key to unscrew a buried socket head screw.
Thats the first thing ,I am thought about,that the 4 holes to the top and the 4 holes of the bottom,is the same thing,but its not.The truth is,the top holes,hold the circle,in order to push the toolpost lock lever to position.Allen screws.The bottom blind solids,I dont have any idea,for what the beer,doing there.There not hold nothing,everything,in that part,movit everywhere it want to be.I ts like four pins,putting there for some type of holders,or stop,but what?

Another question is WHY remove it it is being such a problem? If I understand correctly it all moves nice and free so why not just work with it as is?
In a serius rebuild,ALL THE PARTS MUST BE CHECKED for cracs,missing parts,unworking parts,to do a right cleanig and oiling,inspection of the oilers,bearings replace and a lot of the things,that only a real machiner wants to do.The way to treat your tools,show your character.If something looks fine,it doesnt mean,that it is fine.And I ask you.Why the toolpost dont remove?What is that who stop it from separated,as well?Is it fit and stay in position,on the job?Or its brake on a heavy turning and do some serius damage to the lathe,or in a worst case an accident?food for thought.

Language: A old Neighbor retired as an electrical engineer from a big power company. He was offered a job as head of maintenance or maybe just electrical at a large amusement park in California. Most of the rides were made in Switzerland with instructions and labels in German. His helpers would be mainly Spanish speakers from Mexico. He spoke neither language. He declined the job.
Bill D

Thats the first thing ,I am thought about,that the 4 holes to the top and the 4 holes of the bottom,is the same thing,but its not.The truth is,the top holes,hold the circle,in order to push the toolpost lock lever to position.Allen screws.The bottom blind solids,I dont have any idea,for what the beer,doing there.There not hold nothing,everything,in that part,movit everywhere it want to be.I ts like four pins,putting there for some type of holders,or stop,but what?
Hmm. Do you know anyone who can X-ray that assembly?

Yes sir! I have a lot of friends,spesialized in NDI sector,but first at all,its a price of honor...If I need an X RAY procedure,Its really a tough pill to swallow...

I bet those are pull pins. Screw your slide hammer into hose threaded holes on top and see if they pull out.

If not that, maybe taper pins knocked out from the bottom?

My last idea is that the holes on top are to be used as jack screws, to press the two pieces apart.

If I only I was there to put a 2nd set of eyes on it. :-) I know how you feel... hate to find something you can't figure out how to get apart. Especially while trying not to break anything.

Thats a good observation sir.I take a look all around the stud for screws or pins under the paint,maybe thats the solution to the problem..Maybe the old film of paint is able to hide the holes of the pins/screws...

As suggested by Rob F in post 44, I magnified the picture in post 35, and looked deeper. It does seem that the upper four holes are aligned with the lower four holes.

I also see what could be a kind of nut with radial features surrounding the big stud in the center. Could this be unscrewed?

To much crap around center post to tell if it is threaded or just pressed into slide.
Yeah, I mentioned that 3 days ago, on sunday. It is a critical consideration. Once cleaned it should become clear under magnification whether there is a thread (and the direction), knurls, or evidence of pressing. As mentioned, is it pressed or threaded in from the bottom, like a wheel stud.

The other way to work this problem is to ask how you would retain that threaded stud. But any serious analysis needs the basic dimensions to understand the constraints.

As suggested by Rob F in post 44, I magnified the picture in post 35, and looked deeper. It does seem that the upper four holes are aligned with the lower four holes.

I also see what could be a kind of nut with radial features surrounding the big stud in the center. Could this be....Its already unscrewd.But nothing moves.

Yeah, I mentioned that 3 days ago, on sunday. It is a critical consideration. Once cleaned it should become clear under magnification whether there is a thread (and the direction), knurls, or evidence of pressing. As mentioned, is it pressed or threaded in from the bottom, like a wheel stud.

The other way to work this problem is to ask how you would retain that threaded stud. But any serious analysis needs the basic dimensions to understand the constraints.
I dont have nothing of numbers or dimensions.The mother company,have also nothing..

The area to check for threads or splines is on the bottom around the stud, in the picture on the right in post #15. There is dirt in there. Once cleaned it should be possible to see detail.

Back