What's new
What's new

Hilger & Watts Autocollimator and Clinometer

I picked this up many years ago on Ebay, during the Great Shop cleanout era. All works just fine. the Lewis pads were a bonus. Unfortunately I am a electronic idiot and really can't give any educated values. View attachment 378561
Hi Daryl, that sure is a beauty! Would love to get my hands on one of those electronic readout boxes one day!! Aaah a man can dream.
I'm also an electronics idiot, although maybe slightly more advanced ;) But hey, I'm learning!

All the best, Dennis.

he photo sensor is on the bottom where the 2 big wires go to.

the photocell is used to aim the target, so you need to get the sync signal before you to integration.

the photocell is a photo-resistor, so the signal may be DC+AC, but the interesting part is the time that the "slit" passby and return, you can always have a SIN+DC signal from your ADC, but you dont know the time that the movment direction changes. The meter part of this collimator is not used to directly read the result of angle, but only to tell you if the collimator is perfectly aimed at the same position (by adjusting the drum wheel). so we are not measuring the voltage of photocell, but trying to measure the time of the vibrating slit whenever change direction. the sync signal is necessary and vital.

the original circuit does have a phase sensitive rectifier, the reference phase signal is supplied by the 3-15V winding from the mains transformer while the vibrating slit is also powered my the same transformer, so the reference phase from the mains transformer is synchronized with the amplified photocell signal

i'll post the test result later

View attachment 373272

Hello, did you get the information you where looking for?
If not, please send me a private message, i might have some more information about autocolimators you would like.

All the best, Dennis.
Hello! Do you have any problems with the autocollimator type TA 53. The wires on the connector on the vibrator type FA 70S fell out and I am not sure that they are connected again. The vibrator cannot receive a signal from the autocollimator. FA 70S. Sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand what the problem is. Thank you

Here you can find the electronic schematic of the display unit (FA 70-3) with a list of component values.

FA 70-3 circuit diagram 2.jpg - Google Drive

FA 70-3 circuit diagram components.jpg - Google Drive
Hello! Do you have any problems with the autocollimator type TA 53. The wires on the connector on the vibrator type FA 70S fell out and I am not sure that they are connected again. The vibrator cannot receive a signal from the autocollimator. FA 70S. Sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand what the problem is. Thank you

Hmm. You're going to have to maybe try again. I don't think the idea you are trying to get across is getting across. And I see that you registered two accounts with nearly the same name, one right after another. Did you have an issue with registration?

Hello, where you looking for the pinout of the connector? If so, see the attached photo.

IMG_2405.jpg

Back