What's new
What's new

Hinged pole support

ih784

Plastic
Hey everybody, I wasn’t sure where else to post this. Please move it if it needs to be somewhere else.

I made a hinged pole similar to this one: Hinged pole

I’d like to be able to support it when it’s hinged over using another pipe or tubing or f some sort. Kinda like a kick stand when it’s leaned over. Any ideas?

I watched some electricians changing lamps in Tesco s car park, the pole was lifted then hinged down against a couple of big springs, the 30 foot pole slowly hinged to the ground, no effort.
Mark
That’s a really neat idea. My issue is that the pole is 16’ tall and I need the end of it to stop about 6-7’ from the ground so I can work on it. I’ve got a camera on mine and the camera mount will hit the fence that the pole comes down next to.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the requirements, but wouldn't a quick/cheap tripod with a suitable V top made from wood or EMT conduit do the trick? Could probably hinge the tripod so it stores more compactly.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the requirements, but wouldn't a quick/cheap tripod with a suitable V top made from wood or EMT conduit do the trick? Could probably hinge the tripod so it stores more compactly.
No, you haven’t misunderstood at all. I haven’t been clear lol. The pole is about 8-10” from my fence. The camera I mounted on it has little clearance. I’m not sure I have enough room to splay the tripod out? Now, a tripod of 8-10 inches at the bottom of a longer post or support may work but a piece of plate would do the same I guess? Thank you for the ideas!

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Mount a shelf bracket (triangle) on the fence. It can also double as a hanger for a potted plant.
I know the top rail wouldn’t like it. However, instead of using one of my line poles, I could just sink another one where I need it and put a “cradle” on top like a piece of channel or something.

Can you twist the pole & hinge on its mount so it comes down a little farther away from the fence? Maybe you have to oval out the mounting holes that bolt it down?
I can. HOWEVER, if I turn it I won’t be able to use my truck or winch/ come along to raise or lower it. It’s bolted on a pipe flange. So I can turn it a bolt hole or two or three.

I can. HOWEVER, if I turn it I won’t be able to use my truck or winch/ come along to raise or lower it. It’s bolted on a pipe flange. So I can turn it a bolt hole or two or three.
Dont turn it by moving to new holes, that is to much rotation. Loosen the bolts and twist it to take up all the slop in the holes. If that is not enough you could either put smaller bolts in the flanges or oval the holes on one of the flanges. You probably only need to twist it a few degrees, 5º max would be my guess. 1/2" bolts instead of 5/8" bolts should give you plenty of room to move it where it just clears the fence and you can still be lined up enough to use the winch.
You could test that by laying id down with the camera still on it. Then unbolt the flange and pull the camera end away from the fence until it clears. Look at the bolt holes and see what would be easy to to to get it to bolt up there.
Another thought is does the hinge lay it down perfectly in line with the fence? Maybe if you have it lay down the other direction it may be a little further from the fence?

Turning it 180° hadn’t occurred to me and that may give me enough room to do what I need to do. I hinged it the direction I did because it’s opposite of the end I can get my truck on to lower/raise it. 4” pipe is pretty stout lol. It’s a standard 4” flange and the bolts are 3/4” so 5/8 or 1/2 would work. I really am limited to my space. I left room between the fence and ditch to be able to drive around the house. You see the camera up top in this picture. Thank you for your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_3091-compressed.png
    IMG_3091-compressed.png
    274.7 KB · Views: 0
If you look at Victorian lamp standards the 2 prongs under the lamp was for the access ladder, clever really.
Mark

If you look at Victorian lamp standards the 2 prongs under the lamp was for the access ladder, clever really.
Mark
It really is and that’s my main concern is that there’s no real estate for the ladder on the pole.

Back