What's new
What's new

HLV-H clutches

Courier250

Plastic
Due diligence, I have sifted through a handful of archive pages looking for the answer to no avail.

What's a "Heavy Cut" for an HLV-H? The purpose is to grade the clutches. One inch per hour per HP of stock removal is a good start. Where should I end that test/ demonstration? A friend is giving me the lathe to reassemble and sell. From what I have read, there is no clutch adjustment procedure. If they are worn and slip, they get replaced.

I have an HLV-not-an-H from the late '50s and regularly take 0.025 or 0.030 per side in plain steel, sometimes 0.050 in bronze (that's .050-0.060 diameter reduction, to minimize the confusion or any misunderstanding). For a "Little" lathe, I'd say that's top notch, but what's it supposed to do? I like to be truthful and honest. Thus far, the majority of my customer feedback is that condition is spot on with my description and I'd like to keep it that way.

I consider anything above 1 mm per side in machinable steel as on the heavy side ony HLV-H. It would certainly cut more, but is primarily limited by motor (VFD) power. The lathe is sufficiently rigid.
As to clutches, they are set to slip by spring pressure and are not adjustable. I can hold the carriage wheel or topslide handle against the clutches without too much effort (handy when the clutch lever doesn't fall to hand )

I fairly regularly take .060" per side (.120" dia) in 304ss on the HLV-H lathes at my work. Of course I have no idea of the IPR other than "looks pretty good" using old school TPG inserts.

Thanks to all, that's a big help. Gave everybody "Likes". Rons: even those just-turning-brown chips will melt in to the polyester blend...and leave a whelp!. (Its getting harder to find 100% cotton these days)

Thanks to all, that's a big help. Gave everybody "Likes". Rons: even those just-turning-brown chips will melt in to the polyester blend...and leave a whelp!. (Its getting harder to find 100% cotton these days)
The question is how do you like your pork?

A very large depth of puts more force on the back end of the entire top.
Screws, sliding surfaces. Does it cause more wear on the top?

I've read that using the wrong lubricant in the apron will affect the clutch behavior; I haven't tried it so can't elaborate, I always use the recommended ATF.
ATF isn't just lubricating oil, it has additives that control the gripping force of the cork linings in the clutches. Lubricating oil without those additives will just slip. That's why it's called AT Fluid......not AT Oil. But folks here most likely already know this....

Another part to watch is the compound slide. With just a single eccentric bolt the compound will move under heavier cuts. If you try over tightening the hex head you can put a bow in the bottom of the compound base.

Additionally the eccentric points on the bolt can also become worn, not allowing you to tighten up the compound. Since the compound uses a eccentric bolt only so much can be removed before it will not tighten. A good reason not to get overly carried away with taking heavy cuts. When either are worn you will get a chatter in your cuts.

Last edited:
Another part to watch is the compound slide. With just a single eccentric bolt the compound will move under heavier cuts. If you try over tightening the hex head you can put a bow in the bottom of the compound base.

Additionally the eccentric points on the bolt can also become worn, not allowing you to tighten up the compound. Since the compound uses a eccentric bolt only so much can be removed before it will not tighten. A good reason not to get overly carried away with taking heavy cuts. When either are worn you will get a chatter in your cuts.
Thats got to be the best reason(s) to scale back on hogging on a HLVH.

Keep in mind, the HLV-H clutches are designed to slip
when using a hard bed mounted stop. This is a very
position repeatable design feature that most other lathes
will not tolerate.

-Doozer

Back