What's new
What's new

Hole finish with spade vs. twist drill

I have only had one experience where I could directly compare, and I make this part fairly often. Using the exact same machine drilling the same size hole in the same material (aluminum) I would say the finish of the spade was slightly better. Both the regular bit and the spade holder have MT3 shanks. The regular drill is a quality new US made drill and the spade holder and insert are Allied products, both uncoated. I am drilling a 7/8 through hole 3" deep into 6061. I used speed/feed info off of the Allied site for the spade and MHB for the drill.

Quite a bit of info on the AMEC site, click here.

If you're drilling from the solid, if your setup is rigid, if your machine is tight & well adjusted, spade drills produce better finished holes & straighter holes than twist drills. In larger sizes, they are the least expensive way to make a hole. It's easy to find huge inserts, 4" and larger, on eBay for $30, click here.

Spade drills are primarily center-guided. Even after the point penetrates to full diameter, there is no 'body' to guide the drill, as there is with a twist drill. Twist drills will tolerate gawdawful sloppy setups - once the point makes full diameter, the body/flutes provide support to keep the point going straight, more or less.

All things being equal, the spade drill will produce a better hole finish.

--------------
Barry Milton

Back