What's new
What's new

Hooked up single phase motor, it smoked a little? Please help!

KindaBentSouth

Aluminum
Hello again all! So I posted about these two new lathes I got a couple weeks ago, a model A 9” and a heavy 10.

The heavy 10 is what I’m working on now, it has a single phase 1 hp “Reliance Electric” motor in it, but was not wired up when I got it. All wires are in place except the 5 that go to the motor, that come from the drum switch, through a “Square D” single throw safety switch, then on to where it should connect to motor.
So my electrician buddy and I have been trying to get it to run, by finding the hot wires, 122.5v each (240v) and then pretty much guessing where the rest tie into, as I have scoured the inter web for something I could use but no luck. Here’s some details:

Reliance Electric motor 110/220
5 wires coming from motor listed as T1,T3,T4,T5,T8. There are no other wires. I looked inside the motor, saw what wires “appeared” to be connected to the windings (I’m an electrical moron) and assumed those to be what should go to hot.

I fire her up, she spins, however blows the fuse. Now it had 30amp big ass fuses in it, my electrician buddy brought me some 15amp ones from work, so I replace blown fuses a couple times, it runs great each time until fuse blows. So I find the old original fuses I took out that were correct and put them in, and voila , it stays running ! I feel cheers coming from the imaginary crowd.... then stupidity looks me right in the eye as it pees on my shoe.... and it starts smoking from the motor. Not billowing, but smoking, like a lit cigarette would.

I pull the plug, swap a couple of the “not hot” wires, try again, yet my foot is soiled again... smoke. Little bit , but that’s enough for me...

Pic is of motor . The wires were just temp soldered together just to see if it ran. Yes it looks hella hokey. Also, there’s a capacitor on the side of this thing. Wires must be internal? Any way...

I then wrote you guys begging for help...image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

usually for reversing motors capacitor start, you have 6 wires.

anyhow, T5 and T8 are almost certainly your start winding. one of them goes to the capacitor, then the switch, then the winding, and out through t5.

go ahead and connect T5 and T8 in parallel to T3 and T4. it should start and run on 120vac. reverse any of the two pairs and it will start up the other way.

amps drawn will be more like 7 amps or less on 120vac.

then figure out where the other end of T1 goes.

its possible you have a non reversible dual voltage 5 wire motor. if you leave it running on only 1 winding, connected for low voltage, it is reversible, but you will only be able to get half power out of it. adding a run capacitor to it will recover some capacity.

what i would do is cut the motor apart and bring out the 6th missing wire.

usually for reversing motors capacitor start, you have 6 wires.

anyhow, T5 and T8 are almost certainly your start winding. one of them goes to the capacitor, then the switch, then the winding, and out through t5.

go ahead and connect T5 and T8 in parallel to T3 and T4. it should start and run on 120vac. reverse any of the two pairs and it will start up the other way.

amps drawn will be more like 7 amps or less on 120vac.

then figure out where the other end of T1 goes.

its possible you have a non reversible dual voltage 5 wire motor. if you leave it running on only 1 winding, connected for low voltage, it is reversible, but you will only be able to get half power out of it. adding a run capacitor to it will recover some capacity.

what i would do is cut the motor apart and bring out the 6th missing wire.

Thanks for the reply, I’m near retarded when it comes to electrical so you’ll have to baby me. I got the part about connecting the numbers you specified at the windings, but the rest lost me. Sorry, can you dumb it down a little?

And I don’t think cutting the motor open is something I’m tryin to do. My buddy said the same thing, “where’s wire #6?”
It can’t be a 5 wire?

Thanks for the reply, I’m near retarded when it comes to electrical so you’ll have to baby me. I got the part about connecting the numbers you specified at the windings, but the rest lost me. Sorry, can you dumb it down a little?

Maybe it is non reversible? I haven’t been able to reverse it, it sure doesn’t seem like there is another wire inside but I couldn’t be sure. It is dual voltage, and I’m running it 220

Anyone?

Hello again all! So I posted about these two new lathes I got a couple weeks ago, a model A 9” and a heavy 10.

The heavy 10 is what I’m working on now, it has a single phase 1 hp “Reliance Electric” motor in it, but was not wired up when I got it. All wires are in place except the 5 that go to the motor, that come from the drum switch, through a “Square D” single throw safety switch, then on to where it should connect to motor.
So my electrician buddy and I have been trying to get it to run, by finding the hot wires, 122.5v each (240v) and then pretty much guessing where the rest tie into, as I have scoured the inter web for something I could use but no luck. Here’s some details:

Reliance Electric motor 110/220
5 wires coming from motor listed as T1,T3,T4,T5,T8. There are no other wires. I looked inside the motor, saw what wires “appeared” to be connected to the windings (I’m an electrical moron) and assumed those to be what should go to hot.

I fire her up, she spins, however blows the fuse. Now it had 30amp big ass fuses in it, my electrician buddy brought me some 15amp ones from work, so I replace blown fuses a couple times, it runs great each time until fuse blows. So I find the old original fuses I took out that were correct and put them in, and voila , it stays running ! I feel cheers coming from the imaginary crowd.... then stupidity looks me right in the eye as it pees on my shoe.... and it starts smoking from the motor. Not billowing, but smoking, like a lit cigarette would.

I pull the plug, swap a couple of the “not hot” wires, try again, yet my foot is soiled again... smoke. Little bit , but that’s enough for me...

Pic is of motor . The wires were just temp soldered together just to see if it ran. Yes it looks hella hokey. Also, there’s a capacitor on the side of this thing. Wires must be internal? Any way...

I then wrote you guys begging for help...View attachment 303554View attachment 303554View attachment 303554View attachment 303554

Anyone have a straight out wiring diagram they could give me? Anyone? That shows me where T1 etc goes? Just something in plain writing?
Thank you in advance.

As we said in your last thread, this can be done, but there are no simple instructions. You should not just be connecting random wires and hoping it works. I suggest you get some expert help from a local motor shop.

allan

I have to say this, someone let the smoke out, the question is, how do you get the smoke back in? I have not found a good way to do that. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ok ok

As we said in your last thread, this can be done, but there are no simple instructions. You should not just be connecting random wires and hoping it works. I suggest you get some expert help from a local motor shop.

I guess if your all saying it , then I’ll have to listen. I just search online and other people ask similar questions and everyone posts diagrams and helpful tipS. I get “take it to a shop, your screwed” ..
I know you guys know what your talking about, but the whole point of posting on a forum is trying to do it yourself And not have to take it in.
I appreciate the help from the guy who gave me some advice on how to do it up at the top , his way got the motor going good, but now it’s ripping ass really fast. So off to the machine shop I go......

I guess if your all saying it , then I’ll have to listen. I just search online and other people ask similar questions and everyone posts diagrams and helpful tipS. I get “take it to a shop, your screwed” ..
I know you guys know what your talking about, but the whole point of posting on a forum is trying to do it yourself And not have to take it in.
I appreciate the help from the guy who gave me some advice on how to do it up at the top , his way got the motor going good, but now it’s ripping ass really fast. So off to the machine shop I go......

Yeah, but you need to A know what you are doing, and B follow directions.

Keep hooking it up willy nilly and pretty soon it will stop smoking.

We can’t help someone who doesn’t know how to peal a potato.
You gotta walk before you run and the motor shops already know how to sprint.
Take it to someone who can tell you straight up in person what’s wrong.

Or burn your garage down. Your choice

Back