What's new
What's new

Horizontal Boring mill troubleshoot

Jake_F

Plastic
We have a gray horizontal boring mill here at work, the machine is from the 50’s although I am not sure if the exact year. Lately, we have had a problem with magnetization on the chuck. Every tool we use gets magnetized, which as you can imagine causes all kinds of trouble and wasted time demagnetizing the tools. This seems to be a problem that nobody here at work has dealt with before, and we’re not sure where to start. I’ve attached the label on the machine with the induction motor specs, as we think it has to do with the motor. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• B3ADD617-8706-4D2E-A815-0CF3F4D446EF.jpeg
    B3ADD617-8706-4D2E-A815-0CF3F4D446EF.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 18
What do you mean "on the chuck?" Tools can often get magnetized just from cutting certain materials. I've found it especially prevalent on hardened steels.

I don't think the electricity has anything to do with it either. You're running an AC induction motor, which would be more likely to DEmagnetize than magnetize unless there was some sort of rectification going on. You could always stick a multimeter on the machine and see. Put one lead on the spindle and one on the workpiece and see if you have a DC voltage. If not it definitely has nothing to do with the machine's electrical system.

More pics, we like pics. What material and what type of tooling are you using? Straight tooth cutters are notorious for magnetizing workpieces and chips, more so on high strength materials.

Back