What's new
What's new

How can I get rid of 30 guns???

gary350

Hot Rolled
My 85 year old father lives in Illinois. I moved to Tennessee 31 years ago. He is going to kick the buck some day and I will be left with, what to do with 30 guns? The guns were all bought in the 1950s and 1960s and are in like brand new condition. They have never been registered. I bet collecters would have a field day over this.

I no longer have an Illinois gun owers permit. I have been told it is a $5000 fine and 10 years in prison for every gun I put in my SUV and haul to Tennessee when my father dies. He lives in a very small farm town (population about 5000) there is only 1 person that deals with guns he has offered to buy 5 guns at half their value. I have about 30 guns to deal with. The town is small the gun dealer claims he will have a hard time selling 5 guns in a year that is why he only wants 5 guns. I feel like I am being cheated with a half price offer.

My Father loves pistols, he has a few rifles and 2 shotguns. How can I get rid of 30 guns?

By the way there are actually 32 guns in the house, 2 of the rifles are mine. I am not sure I can legally take the guns from Illinois to Tennessee. If I get caught with the guns in my SUV it is not worth legal problems, fine and prison.

You might want to check out the BATF website.

I found this:

(B7) May a nonlicensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawful
purposes?
Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA
from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm
under certain conditions, notwithstanding State or local law to the contrary.
The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a
trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and
destination.
[18 U.S.C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38]

Rex

When my uncle had to sell a collection of rather odd and expensive (mainly rifles) my father arranged for the collection to be included in a firearms/swords/knives auction. I would look for an auction house that would take the collection and put it with others for a larger specialty auction. Take photos of each (not the serial numbers until you get a contract signed). That is if you want to sell them.

The other option is to find a dealer on both sides (IL and TN, and sounds like not the local guy but find a larger shop) and for a fee of course, have the dealers transfer the lot from one to another (but then you end up with a Fed-Ex bill). Then you would have the guns in TN legally and without concern, and then just need to arrange the transfer from the local dealer to yourself.

Get a qualified legal opinion as to whether you even need to deal with this first. It might be easier than you think.

I don't know where you got that $5000 fine figure, it sounds like poor advice or misinformation. At the very least, the guns can be transferred from one FFL to another if transferring to another state, usually for a fixed fee of around $20.00 each.

I would forget the local gun dealer, and as suggested contact a couple of local auction houses. Several in this area conduct consignment auctions on a regular basis. If the local houses don't do this, they can probably put you in contact with one that does. The auctioneer can hold the guns until the auction is conducted, and you will get close to market price for the guns.

If your father leaves an estate to dispose of, including real estate and other personal belongings, one auction can be used to handle the whole works. This is sometimes the simplest means to do this, especially if time and distance make disposition difficult.

Might try

I too think you have gotten some bad advice... But... If you want to keep them check with a lawyer. I can’t imagine not being able to accept items from your own father estate.

I am sure if you look around you can find a FFL in the state that will help you sell off the collection for a fee (commission, not flat rate, you loose every time). You might try calling Cabela's, I think they have some idea of how to handle a collection.

$5000 fine does not sound right to me either.

When my brother was in school in Illinois 10+ years ago he had to have a "firearms owners ID card". It was necessary if you wanted to buy ammo. It was not a firearms ownership permit. There was no regestration or restriction with the card. I dont recall him having to get any other kind of permits at that time.

I would do my homework and see what the laws say.
Chances are that in an estate situation you have more lattitude.
Also, your a resident of another state. That probably changes the rules on transfering ownership and transporting guns, espceialy handguns.

One other thought, its hard to sell rifles in Illinois. The hunting opertunities are limited by shotgun only restrictions because the land is so flat. That kills the demand.

Good luck

You can join up for free with Gunbroker.com and sell them at that site. This works a bit like Ebay, but has specific answers to your questions, so go to the site and check them out.
http://www.gunbroker.com/

If you start asking people questions about selling/shipping guns, you are going to get a world of conflicting advice and most of it will be wrong.

At Gunbroker.com you can also find the state by state regulations and people in your zip code who have a firearms license who will ship/receive for a small fee.

I have no connection with GB.com other than being a member and shipping guns myself that I have bought and sold at the site.

Shipping guns is a Federal thing and is regulated by the Feds.
Rifles and shotguns can be taken to the Post Office by you and mailed using USPS service.
They must be mailed to someone who holds a license, but you do not need a license to ship long guns.
Pistols are different. You need the gun to be sent by a licensed person to a licensed person on the receiving end using only a common carrier such as FedEx, UPS and such. You cannot ship a pistol through the US mail system, period.
The last time I sent pistols, FedEx would not accept them but UPS does.
Some 'buyers' will be very willing to buy your father's guns for the right price. That right price is to them though, not to you.
At the GB site you can expect to get the fair price you deserve for the arms.................pg

PS: Try this link copied from Gunbroker.com...........
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ILSL.pdf

Last edited:
Traveling with the rifles securely locked in a hard to get to place is not illegal.
Lock em up good and hightail it back to Tennessee if it were me....

Hi There,

By all means, I would check with a lawyer in the state of Illinois
who is familiar with their laws (the NRA may be able to help). But
as I read the IL state law, think you are in good shape. To whit:

65/2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of
firearms and firearms ammunition do not apply to:
(9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case.

Also, as I read the requirements for issuance for an IL. Firearms Owner's
Identification Card, I see no provision that the applicant has to be a
resident of Illinois. Perhaps you could just get the card and be done
with it.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Illinois is a swear word when it comes to the gun world, if you are really worried about it, after you check up with the Fed.s, also check the IL state laws, they are the most anti-gun in the nation as far as I know of.

What might I do in the situation?

I may rent a small Uhaul tailer, load the guns (all with trigger locks and locked together with a cable) in a hommade flat wood crate with good packing material, screw the crate to the foor, screw the lid on. load up whatever else you are taking home from the estate, furniture, misc household, ect all on top of the crate. Lock the trailer up, lock it to your car, lock the hitch reciever to the car...head home. Bring a co-driver, make sure one of you never leaves the car.
Make sure all the lights work, the plates are good...have a nice ride home.

This way its all in your control...

Safest way: Ship them all via FedEx next day to the closest 'reputable' FFL holder in your hometown, and just go pick them up there.

Safest way: Ship them all via FedEx next day to the closest 'reputable' FFL holder in your hometown, and just go pick them up there.

As I stated earlier......lots of bogus info will be received regarding shipping and holding guns.
FedEx will not ship a firearm of any kind as a company policy.
UPS will ship firearms as long as they are overnight next day delivery.
USPS will ship long guns, but no pistols or revolvers are allowed.

Of course you can ship anything anyway you want, as long as you do not mind the jail time and fines associated with failing to follow the rules as they are plainly explained and the package happens to get opened and checked.
All you have to do is just take the time to contact the shipper you wish to use and they will tell you the rules you have to follow.

Say you want to fly somewhere and go hunting.....you can do it.
Simply call the airline and they will give you the rules and how to pack the weapon................pg

Can the *current* owner of the items in question
legally transport them to the new location? This might
solve a host of problems.

Jim

Can the *current* owner of the items in question
legally transport them to the new location? This might
solve a host of problems.

Jim

The "current owner" could be now or later, If you are allowed to own guns.

So If they are yours they are yours, as a Gift or bought, They are yours, Lock them in a box, and don't give anyone a reason to stop you, also Insure them before you go, this proves they are yours.

My 2 cents worth.

When the time comes if you use a lawyer for the estate have him write you up a letter that the guns are part of a estate that you inherited and that you are moving them out of state.

This way you are CYA in case someone wants to bring a case.

Honest to god I wouldn't give a hoot about Fed law those guns would be going with me to my place of residence no matter how many states I'd have to travel through. The only reason you'd get pulled over in the first place is speeding or some other violation that would in no way give right for a vehicle search. Just keep them out of sight out of mind and go. Post 9-11 laws have everybody crazy about doing anything with anything. Just keep thinking about the fact that during the ride there are probably 30+ trucks, cars and vans transporting drugs knowingly that are either passing you in the opposite direction or traveling right next to you...... Just don't piss yourself and start crying when the cop pulls you over for the burnt out tail light and you'll be fine. Now thats just my opinion.

Gary - You live maybe a 7 hour drive from your Dad? Drive up on a Saturday morning, spend the night, load up all the guns in the car on Sunday and drive back. Cover the guns with a sheet. Have enough common sense to not run red lights, stop signs or go more than 5 mph over the speed limit on the highway.

Once the guns are in TN, you can sell by:

1 - Using GunBroker and selling yourself.
2 - Using a local gunshop to sell on consignment.
3 - Using an auction house, listed in Shotgun News or Gun List to sell them all at once.

Next time someone tells you about the $5000 fine, go here -

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf

Steve.

PS - Today on the way home from the range I stopped at Burger King. Two State Troopers parked next to my pickup. Wasn't concerned in the least over the AK47, Ruger Mini-30 and loaded 1911 in the back seat of the truck under a sheet.

I made several phone calls today. I talked a few different gun dealers in TN the best deal is $60 per gun. Total price $1800.00 when they sell.

I talked to a few gun dealers in Illinois the best deal is $50 per gun plus shipping and handling by Fedx. Total price + or - in the ball part area about $2500.00

ATF said, since I am not the owner of the guns I can not transport them across state lines. 150 years in prison and 3 million dollar fine if I do.

The State of Illinois has a dozen different answers each person I talk to has a different answer.

An Illinois gun dealer in a good size town 60 miles away will sell them on consignment $50 each plus $10 for paper work. I have to haul them to his store. My father is in good enough health to travel the distance and back long enough to transport his guns to the dealer. This will cost $1800 after they all sell. I am not sure this will get top dollar for the guns the gun dealer can sell them as cheap as he wants there is no incentive to get top dollar he gets his $50 per gun no matter what they sell for. If he wants to sell them to his best friend for $100 each what can I do. Maybe my father can put a minumum sale price on each gun so he gets the price he wants. I might have to call this guy back and ask some more questions.

Back