What's new
What's new

How can I make an out of state sell into a cash on barrel head exchange?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I’m stuck.
Deal made for machine- seller will crate and drop at shipper.
I send check for funds first.

I have all the exposure here.
Is there any common means to flatten that risk exposure a bit.
For small items who really cares- both agree on deal - one ships the other sends a check.

When this is thousands of dollars I take pause.
This is a new case for me as I usually drive and pick up machines.
How do you folk handle this?

I’m stuck.
Deal made for machine- seller will crate and drop at shipper.
I send check for funds first.

I have all the exposure here.
Is there any common means to flatten that risk exposure a bit.
For small items who really cares- both agree on deal - one ships the other sends a check.

When this is thousands of dollars I take pause.
This is a new case for me as I usually drive and pick up machines.
How do you folk handle this?
Can you find someone to act as your agent where the machine is?

I did a similar $2500 deal with a seller who agreed to ship via Fastenal.
I called the store manager at the Fastenal drop off location and he agreed to act as an agent for both buyer and seller.
My check was sent Next Day Air and the Fastenal manager held it until the seller dropped off the item.
The store manager sent photos of the item in his receiving area and the entire process went well for the buyer and seller... YMMV.

Ok- that sounds perfect.
I was thinking I would ask the Fastenal branch to confirm arrival and electronic transfer- the check at site is better.
I will call them in the morning and get agreement from seller.
Thanks.

i have done what your talking about many times send the check, wait for the truck to get it here, I dont know how to lessen the risk, a lot of times my time is more valuable than the money risked otherwise i fly or drive out. sometimes its quite worrisome I haven't got screwed yet, sure to happen someday though there is always a con artist that will eventually get you.

I have gotten burned twice.
Once was full ticket for a few hundred dollar item and the second was a thousand ‘good faith money’.

I have had my cars broken into several times and a number of things stolen from property.
There is a being pissed off combined with just about no way to get justice.
Once I went to every pawn shop in the area and actually found my property- whoa I was a force to deal with.
I guarded the gear like a mad dog till the police arrived to release it to me.

Nothing raises suspicion in this case but I sure as hell want to spare myself the insult and troubles.

Used to be quite common to give the truck driver a certified cheque to be handed over after the machine was loaded .......we had one unbreakable rule........no payment until the item was on the truck ..........this insures you wont be buying a heap of freshly busted bits ..........I recall one time some guys bought a Cat 815 compacter ,motor going ,money paid over ,the motor snapped a rod as it was being driven onto the trailer.

I've had poor results every time I've asked a truck driver for much of anything beyond driving the truck.

I once sent a 55k lb hmc to scrap. Truck driver came back for 2nd load with a ticket for 17k lbs. He couldn't fathom how he could have known the weight was wrong. At $350/ton we had some words. Trucking outfit comped all the trucking that day.

I always pay with a credit card. Or via PayPal but with a credit card specified as the source of the funds. If I get ripped off, I just complain to the CC bank and they take my money back and credit my account. Of course I do complain to the seller and PayPal first, but we all know how that can go.

If the seller doesn't like it that way, then I let him sell it to another sucker. No deal is that great.

Well I called the seller and we hashed it out and went over some ideals to make my side of the deal safer.
In the end I just sent a check and I’m happy with that.
Thanks all.

In the pinball world, people (like me) routinely send $5K+ to strangers for machines.

The best way is to use a wire transfer, bank-to-bank. But there have been times I've FedEx'd an envelope of cash to the seller*.

Part of what allows that is the buyers and sellers participate in public forums where there is the opportunity to leave and receive feedback. If a guy has sold 15 games in the past with no issues, chances are good he's not going to start stealing with me.

It all boils down to risk and getting a feel for the seller.

*This has been brought on by the genius-in-office and his going after any transactions over $600. A lot of people are in for a rude surprise when they have the IRS show up asking why they had $3000 show up in their bank account....

Back