What's new
What's new

How can you tell if Mach3 is a pirate version?

NotoriousNorm

Plastic
Hi everyone,

I'm a Teacher in a High School that is teaching a Manufacturing class. One of the toys is a Red Cam CNC machine. One of the first things we did was get it repaired and running. The Red Cam employee took the control box and changed the hook-up from a parallel port to a USB port.

The machine still doesn't run right. It will run ok one time, then when you try it again....the spindle won't turn on for example. Very very all over the map. It's the most frustrating thing. The Red Cam guy who is the manufacturer has pretty much said it's the Laptop and the Desktop computers (he says they both must use a deep freeze software?? which they don't have).....then totally ignores me for help, so I'm stuck trying to figure this out to get it up and running. Being new to all this, it's extremely difficult.

I'm really hoping someone can help and point us in the right direction. My first step I think is figuring out if a pirated version. How can one know if it's a legit copy of Mach 3? It looks legit, but after reading articles, and being ghosted by Red/Cam, I'm wondering if it's the software - Red/Cam Manufacturing Inc. Serial:130510**

Thanks,
Norm

If the zone can't help raise the bar a bit and go with Linuxcnc. Free, lots of online help, both mailing list and forum.

I believe the license file simply unlocks the 100-block G-code limit. Other than that, no functional differences.

Definitely a question for the zone.

Meh, I'd give him a pass as he's an educator.

OP- newfangled software, the company behind M3 has pretty good tech support, I'd start there.

I do seem to recall, though, that they don't support M3 much as M4 is the current product. I recommend that upgrade if you can swing it.
So screw everyone else eh ?

Mach 3 is very pirated, to the point that a cracked version was provided on a mini disc that came with a cnc breakout board that I bought from Amazon.

But, I don't think that's your problem. Seconding everyone here that recommends the linuxcnc or cnczone forums.

If your machine is that inconsistent, I don't think it's the software.

Back