What's new
What's new

How critical are tool holder minimum clamping lengths?

ManualEd

Stainless
I'm tooling up a 50 taper dual contact mill.
I'll start with some SK 16 holders, some Big Daishowa1 1/4" milling chucks, and some 1" hydraulics from Maritool.

I want to run down to 1/2" endmills in the milling chucks, but they want minimum 2.75" of clamping engagement.
Will they work with only 2" of shank inside the tool, or do they immediately burst into flames?

Thanks!

There are two issues. How much the chuck needs to be filled to avoid damaging itself, and how much the tool needs to be clamped to avoid coming out. I suspect the wall on a 1.25-0.5 reducer bushing will satisfy the chuck's need if the bushing is long enough.

Excellent, thank you everyone.
I get that it might not be PERFECT if I don't have the length, but I've never seen a milling chuck in real life so the spontaneous combustion wasn't completely off the table.

There are two issues. How much the chuck needs to be filled to avoid damaging itself, and how much the tool needs to be clamped to avoid coming out. I suspect the wall on a 1.25-0.5 reducer bushing will satisfy the chuck's need if the bushing is long enough.
Can we say, as a rule of thumb, that the chuck should have at least 75% engagement?
And, the holding length of the tool should be at least four times its diameter?

Back