What's new
What's new

How desperate are the AR-15 80% lower crowd ?

Doesn't make sense to buy a big machine to make one or two (or even a dozen) lowers if a little one can do the job.

So it was a CNC machine sold just to doo that operation
for the un-informed masses.

Now this :
Proxxon 37110 MICRO Mill MF 70, Green - Power Milling Machine Accessories - Amazon.com

Scroll down to "questions":
Question:Would this machine be adequate for milling AR-15 lower receivers?
Answer:I don't think it would --the chuck will not let you get a big enough milling bit into it
By Charles R. on June 28, 2015

Desperate? Way back in 2015? Who knows back then but I think in modern times even fudds have it figured out.

Desperate?

I built my Glock19 and ar-15 on a cryobi drill press, they work perfectly.

The glock needed some TLC to get the extractor working perfectly but that was the aftermarket slide and kit not the 80% lower.

Some people just like to build things, guns being one of them.

Yes, most of here can doo it, but why does the mechanically declined crowd think they can magically doo this ?

Yes, most of here can doo it, but why does the mechanically declined crowd think they can magically doo this ?

Because "Everybody WINS!", and gets a participation Gold Medal coming out of school.

And some people still can't count, so the listed dimensions mean not much to them. I've seen one of those mills in real life. A fella with a lot of determination and a strange sense of humor could like as not make about anything with one, but it ain't gonna be easy!

There was a video out a few years back where the fella made a pretty nicely working lower out of Ikea Cutting Boards fused together with a heat gun. God bless him! :)

The a-holes whats running the poo show up here have made it a lot harder to source the pressure bearing stuff. Don't let it happen to you!

I would say the same reason they do anything really, I see this in every walk of life naturally.

Just go to google and type in “how to fix a pipe”

Or “how to build (insert anything here)”

And you can go down the rabbit hole of the suggested “similar” searches, it’s amazing really.

The inept want to believe anything is possible, after all they’ve been told that from the beginning.

I met a range safety guy (mid to late 20s) at the range a few years ago when I had my 80% pistol and AR with me, he asked if I build them on a mill.

I told him no, I built them on a garbage drill press and he was floored, said he tried on 2 80% AR’s and destroyed them.

When I purchased my 80’s I didn’t ask anything, I bought the lowers and already had the POS drill press so I made due, the deflection in the spindle was a serious issue and the depth stop was completely unpredictable.

Some people notice and take this stuff into consideration, others are blind to issues and plow ahead full steam.

Back