What's new
What's new

How do you get 12' bars out of a box trailer?

guythatbrews

Titanium
I always hate to get material this way but sometimes it is unavoidable. I get bundles sometimes 25 or 30 1.25 round brass bars. Sometimes in a handi crate, sometimes in a crummy to-lightweight wooden crate, sometimes just a bundle.

Don't have a dock so 5000# lift on the ground. We manage with blocks, straps, j-bars and pinch bars. Shuttle the bundle out and set one end one the ground, then come to side and pick upi with the forks. Ugly!

Lately been using 6' fork extensions on smaller bundles with strap thru the tip of the fork and bundle chocked. That works pretty well.

Do you have a way you like to do this? As if anyone likes to "do this."

Never was a big deal, strap one end slide 10 ft out the back with the forklift, set on the ground, drive to the side of the bundle and pick up in the center...easy...Phil

Why are there 2 of these?

That would be operator error. Initially when it submitted the post there was a delay and it didn't show up. So I reposted. Now two posts and couldn't figure out how to delete one.

You need a crane pole attachment for the forklift:
Adjustable Hoist Forklift Jib Boom Crane - 6000 lb. Lift Capacity Truss

Use a strap around the box at the midpoint, and lift it right out.

Great idea, I had looked at these long ago and kinda forgot because they are pretty dear. If I had to do this day in day out I'd have one. Maybe someday...

Never was a big deal, strap one end slide 10 ft out the back with the forklift, set on the ground, drive to the side of the bundle and pick up in the center...easy...Phil

Maybe this is the best way all things considered. Sometimes not too bad and pretty easy. Other times not so good.

Most common PITA I see is the silly little 2x4's with the strap grooves in the bottom have broken off and the bundle is on the truck bed and no longer really a bundle. Can be tough to lift a loose bundle up to get a strap underneath. Some drivers are helpful, others seem impossibly clueless. But that would be true regardless of the next step.

Another thing not uncommon the end of the crate is broken for whatever reason and the bars slide out of the end when you set one end of the crate on the ground. That is ugly.

Also a too-big cast off crate is used. The bars may be bundled or not and they shift when you pick up the crate with a strap and the crate rolls over on its side all out of balance.

I can do it and have used almost all the methods suggested. After thinking about this more most of the problems I have come from poor prep at the vendor or rough handling at the freight terminal. When the stuff comes in good condition it's not too bad.

I doubt I'll ever find it easy tho. Just something I gotta do.

Thanks for the replys.

You don't need the fancy adjustable one, just weld up a solid one for yourself,
to the exact length you need.

And what price doo you put on fooling around with makeshift ways, damaging the bars, holding up the driver, and maybe getting hurt ?

I push the forks together, drive over the end of the bundle and set the forks on top.
Wrap a strap or chain around the bundle and tip of the forks. Angle back the forks and lift a little.
Drive out.
Doesn't work for anything over about 1500#. My forklift is too small.

And what price doo you put on fooling around with makeshift ways, damaging the bars, holding up the driver, and maybe getting hurt ?

You are correct of course. Maybe I will. Bonus reason getting the crate through 12' door and manipulating in the easier.

That 6000 lb capacity rig Digger linked is $1350. That's sweet FA for something professionally made, painted and absolves you of the liability of load rating some home-made kludge. I'm surprised at just how CHEAP that set up is.

The problem with fabricating your own is that if you have an attachment for a forklift, the forklift is required by OSHA to have a separate data/capacity tag from the forklift manufacturer installed for each specific attachment that you use on it. This means that the attachment you have needs to have it's own data tag & the forklift manufacturer has to approve it's use. I've seen super heavy duty shop made attachments get cut up for scrap because of this, and I've seen, and installed, multiple data tags on forklifts too. (If you buy a fork mounted manlift cage, data tag on it or not, you won't get a tag from any forklift manufacturer because they don't want to get anywhere near the liability issues of that. OSHA knows this and will fine you if they see one during an inspection.) That said, I ain't OSHA, and they won't be coming to my home shop, so I'm definitely not getting rid of the super heavy duty fork extensions a customer of mine had to get rid of because they were shop made. Just sayin' weigh the odds of that route. Also, keep in mind that the capacity of your lift drops quickly the farther from the mast the centerline of the weight is.

The problem with fabricating your own is that if you have an attachment for a forklift, the forklift is required by OSHA to have a separate data/capacity tag from the forklift manufacturer installed for each specific attachment that you use on it. This means that the attachment you have needs to have it's own data tag & the forklift manufacturer has to approve it's use. I've seen super heavy duty shop made attachments get cut up for scrap because of this, and I've seen, and installed, multiple data tags on forklifts too. (If you buy a fork mounted manlift cage, data tag on it or not, you won't get a tag from any forklift manufacturer because they don't want to get anywhere near the liability issues of that. OSHA knows this and will fine you if they see one during an inspection.) That said, I ain't OSHA, and they won't be coming to my home shop, so I'm definitely not getting rid of the super heavy duty fork extensions a customer of mine had to get rid of because they were shop made. Just sayin' weigh the odds of that route. Also, keep in mind that the capacity of your lift drops quickly the farther from the mast the centerline of the weight is.

Unless your shop is small enough to not need OSHA.
And I'm sure the OP has brains enough to understand moment arm calculations....wrench turners not so much.

Yeah right now it's just little ole me in the shop. Owner/operator/janitor. Already done the calcs My lift at 79" load center can handle an honest 29 1.25 rnd brass 12 footers. Without dipping into any safety factors. Any higher qty and it will take two bundles.

I've found a NIB unit pretty good price but it's a bit of a drive. Would rather go that way than building one. For sure I'm not as willing to go down the diy rabbit hole as I once was.

Another thing not uncommon the end of the crate is broken for whatever reason and the bars slide out of the end when you set one end of the crate on the ground. That is ugly.

In which case do what I did to unload a small injection molding machine mounted on skids from a box truck... Rig from the end and pull out past the balance point, then use your pallet jack to roll a stack of pallets under it and set it down on the stack. when satisfied it's stable, un rig, and drive around and pick from the side, turning as you back so the end still on the truck swings clear.

Dennis

I to am impressed with how cheap that boom is.

When I get small diameter 12' bars in the box truck, I usually just break the bundle and hand unload. Getting 30 1" round bars out takes a few minutes. When I get big heavy bars, I put fork extensions on the the forklift and then put two slings around the bundle and lift it up. Two slings so I don't have to get the center of gravity absolutely perfect.

The stack of pallets under the broken end is a great idea. I never have enough pallets for that. I've got a buddy that doesn't have a forklift so he always unloads by hand and carrys into his shop. Always an option but yuck!

I like the 2 ratchet straps to the fork extensions. That will work for me most of the time.

Keeping an eye out for a jib boom. There is one on ebay seems kinda scammy. Only catalog pics no actual pics and seller unresponsive and free freight. Too good to be true? But a boom would come in handy for other stuff, too.

I to am impressed with how cheap that boom is.

When I get small diameter 12' bars in the box truck, I usually just break the bundle and hand unload. Getting 30 1" round bars out takes a few minutes. When I get big heavy bars, I put fork extensions on the the forklift and then put two slings around the bundle and lift it up. Two slings so I don't have to get the center of gravity absolutely perfect.

Does the trucker get upset when it takes some time ?
I know our local cement trucks indicate 20 minutes on the order, any more time and you get charged.

I know our local cement trucks indicate 20 minutes on the order, any more time and you get charged.

Not sure. I always respect their time and try to not unload by hand. Mostly because I hate to do it.

That said, most of these drivers are accustomed to waiting because first come, first served but not much activity at my place. And they never have to wait while I eat lunch.

I know if you're in a spot where folks won't unload during lunch and you will, lunchtime becomes the busiest time of the day. Sucks to be that helpful guy.

We don't have that problem. With only a few freight deliveries per week, I always have somebody drop what they are doing and we generally meet the truck before the drivers boots hit the ground. We offer them a bottle of water, point them in the direction of our clean bathroom, and otherwise try to stay on their good side.

I've never broken a huge bundle. I could see them getting upset about breaking a master bundle of tubing or something. But we probably save time in breaking a 600 lb bundle of rod into 50 pound sticks and having them off the truck in a few minutes. It seems like there is always a lot of f'ing around and time spent hooking bundles out of a dry van.

On an barely related note: one of my electrical distributors has a box truck with 21' long roll up side door. Grabbing bundles of strut, conduit, and oversize pallets of solar panels is soooooo quick and easy.

Back