What's new
What's new

How do you get 12' bars out of a box trailer?

The stack of pallets under the broken end is a great idea. I never have enough pallets for that.

I always use one pallet, stood up on end. A bit sketchy, yes, but I haven't dropped a bundle yet. My bundles are typically 12-1500 lb bundles of thin extrusion, and I pay the extra to have the bundle strapped to a 13' 6" pallet, so maybe a little less suitable for a 4000 lb bundle of something not on a pallet.

In a perfect world, one would have a 48" tall sawhorse to put the end on, but I haven't gotten around to building that yet.

Does the trucker get upset when it takes some time ?
I know our local cement trucks indicate 20 minutes on the order, any more time and you get charged.

I try to get their ass out of here as quick as possible. I'm still pissed about the time that I unloaded the ABF driver in about 7 minutes (coincidentally, a long bundle just like we're discussing), then he went and spent 20 minutes in my bathroom, then another 10 trying to tell me his life story (which I'm pretty sure was BS anyway) and I got charged $53.50 for truck 'retention.' Fuck that guy.

We park the forklift about 5' away from the rollup door with the forks perpendicular to the truck and elevated about 2" lower than the truck bed.

One guy in the truck sliding the bars to another guy guiding them onto the forks.

We've got good at this and can unload faster than messing around with dragging and much safer imo.

We do this with bars up to 2" square. Anything bigger than that probably wouldn't work.

Back