What's new
What's new

How do you handle people touching your tools.

While the engineer is off using your tools, sit down in their cubicle and use their computer.
They all have lap tops now. And they try and use my computer too. So I bought a wireless key board and turn it off. That stopped them from the computer.

An interesting discussion. When I was young, Dad told me "If ever you borrow anything, make sure you return it in better condition". He was right. I try to avoid borrowing, but when I do I've seldom been refused a second loan. I used to work with a man who had a sign saying "The man who lends tools is on leave today." I don't know whether it worked, but at least it introduced a hint of humour.

On the subject of autism, I have known many autistic people as colleagues, pupils, friends and family. I can confidently state that if you have met one autistic person, you have met one autistic person. Some are flagrantly dishonest, some have a strong moral compass that puts me to shame and the rest are somewhere in between, just like the rest of humanity. It's both wrong and disrespectful to tar them all with the same brush.

George

. Every year they submit a survey to my boss that influences if and how much of a yearly raise I can get.

I honestly think they are autistic or something. You know the type. Egg heads that think they know everything but have no common sense.

And you have common sense?

If I worked with people who had a positive, or adverse effect on my next pay raise I would make it a point of getting along.

You may be stupid to realize this, but getting along with fellow co-workers makes the day go faster, and when you walk into work your not going to be clenching your fists wondering who next is going to borrow a wrench.

Your mental health will improve, your blood pressure will be lower, people will treat you better. I'm sure you know all of this.

They all have lap tops now. And they try and use my computer too. So I bought a wireless key board and turn it off. That stopped them from the computer.

So are you expecting much of a raise?

In your shoes I wouldn't expect much.

Your being childish. They can be vindictive.

Maybe learn to get along with people.

To Op, is there a tool or tool that they borrow regularly? I like the john k. style of greasy tools, just put a few random blobs of neverseez on the back side of those tools and if they mention it all you need to say is "aww man, I thought I cleaned all that off, sorry dude ;)"

Here in the EU land all companies buy all the tools for everyone --
but typically one guy is in "charge" of his direct own tools, like a machine tool fitter or cnc mechanic.

He can never be directly charged for tool loss, as in pay deduction, but if anyone else is culpable it´s a really serious offense to the other.
If someone keeps losing "their" tools, they get fired. Very rare.
Company keeps the tools - they are company tools.

So *everyone* is very careful of everyones tools, their own and even more careful if they borrow one from someone.

Some wear and breakage is common - but no more than with your own tools - for top guys, cnc trades, metrology, similar.

About one
To Op, is there a tool or tool that they borrow regularly? I like the john k. style of greasy tools, just put a few random blobs of neverseez on the back side of those tools and if they mention it all you need to say is "aww man, I thought I cleaned all that off, sorry dude ;)"
Prussian blue anyone? Just make sure you are seen bluing something before it is left in blobs on your tools. You need to show it was an accident not intentional.
Bill D

While the engineer is off using your tools, sit down in their cubicle and use their computer.
I have a parallel war story from the 1980s:

Back when secretaries still existed, one of them complained to me that people (meaning stray managers I'd guess) would just sit down and use her computer, disrupting her work. I showed her how to lock the screen so a password was required. Problem solved.

Last edited:
The IT guys needed a screwdriver today for some rack stuff. Before looking in the toolbox they discussed having brought back the same tool from a previous escapade in a different building; happily they had, and lo the screwdriver was there in the toolbox, thankfully. I'm pretty sure the clicking sounds of my eyes rolling were not audible. Maybe some guys just assume tools will magically be there, sort of like a pen when you happen to need one.

But there are hidden depths sometimes... the general conversation prompted a direct discussion with my cube mate, also an IT guy, but he is quite serious about his tools. We talked about car trunk toolboxes and tradeoffs relating to tool bags. He keeps a beater set of basic tools in the car trunk, scraping every last bit of life out of the decrepit old toolbox, other sets elsewhere for different purposes. So there's always hope. Since he's in the groove, I'll take some pics of my toolboxes and maybe he'll show me some of his.

Went for a ultrasound of my tackle, the nurse was Brazilian and didn't speak the best English. After she finished I asked what she thought, she replied it's very nice. I'm still trying to work out whether she was referring to the fact that there was no issue with my tackle or whether it was some sort of Brazilian compliment.

While in college, I worked part time at a local auto garage. Like 3 days a week. I half way knew most
of the guys from coming around there years before.
This one guy Dave was pretty cool and let me use
the tools in his mechanics box as long as I put them
away. Once I managed to loose a 5/16 nut driver.
I told him about it, and handed him a $20 bill and
apologized for loosing it. He refused to take my
money and said he would just get the boss to
expense it, as it was just something that happens
when working on stuff sometimes. I think he
appreciated me being straight with him and
offering to buy him a new tool. I have always
approached situations with, give more than
you take and it has always seems to work out
for the positive. It sounds like these habitual
tool borrowers have not a clue how the world
works.

-D

One of my pet peeves is when people need something and there are rules or protocols involved (like this topic), and they make a big show out of following the rules. Like guys who ask to borrow a screw driver and do a whole song and dance about how they're asking nicely and they don't want to get on your bad side, making you feel like the jerk. Then when they bring it back they do a whole song and dance about putting it in your hand or in the drawer. Stuff like that makes me not want to "help" those people ever again. I've run into some that do it sarcastically thinking it's funny to mock "the system", and others that think it's somehow polite going above and beyond the rules of etiquette. If chewing with your mouth closed is polite, it must be MORE polite to swallow your food whole, right? Keep it simple and quiet. Follow the rules and go about your day, ya moron.

We used to borrow our Dad's tools to work on our push bikes. No problem except we'd occasioanlly leave them in the grass. Again no problem.

Until Dad was mowing the lawn, KABOOOM, the lawn mower would send these tools flying across the garden. we'd get locked out the garage for a few days to teach us a lesson.
Couple of weeks later KABOOOM, rinse repeat

We used to borrow our Dad's tools to work on our push bikes. No problem except we'd occasioanlly leave them in the grass. Again no problem.

Until Dad was mowing the lawn, KABOOOM, the lawn mower would send these tools flying across the garden. we'd get locked out the garage for a few days to teach us a lesson.
Couple of weeks later KABOOOM, rinse repeat

Lucky you. My hide got tanned if that happened.

Back