What's new
What's new

How hard do you push your bmt65 live tool? (Puma 3100xly)

Discrepancyform

Plastic
Tried pushing a 2” 5 flute face mill 300sfm
.004 ipt
.06 doc
1” radial
Prehard 4340

It sounded like a Bridgeport

Am I going to break it or do I just need to cram the earplugs in a little further?

Squealing from chatter?

Reduce DOC. Cut it in half. If that doesn't work, cut it half yet again.

Also, 50% radial isn't ideal.

Lastly, any chance you can use solid carbide?
It knocks going in and out of the cut like a Bridgeport would. Sounds good in the cut.

.004 ipt
.06 doc
1” radial
Prehard 4340

Am I going to break it or do I just need to cram the earplugs in a little further?
We have one of these where I work, you basically have to run it like you were running one of those cheap Bridgeport knock offs. It has so little power behind it, you can't even run 1/2" endmills at their recommended speeds and feeds.

The best tools to work with are high feed mills and the such with small depths of cut or small step overs.

Sure these type of machines can take some of the load off of your mills, but they cannot replace them. They are just larger versions of those turn/mill machines from Harbor freight that you can talk about here w/o getting your thread closed.

We have one of these where I work, you basically have to run it like you were running one of those cheap Bridgeport knock offs. It has so little power behind it, you can't even run 1/2" endmills at their recommended speeds and feeds.

The best tools to work with are high feed mills and the such with small depths of cut or small step overs.

Sure these type of machines can take some of the load off of your mills, but they cannot replace them. They are just larger versions of those turn/mill machines from Harbor freight that you can talk about here w/o getting your thread closed.
Oh for sure, we’ve got machines that will bury a 6” facer full width and beg for more. I know we’re not doing with this guy.

The cuts I’m taking on the puma don’t even seem to do too much to the load meter but the sound had me taken aback.

.004 ipt
.06 doc
1” radial
Prehard 4340

This is not a recommended procedure for live tools.
Your radial should be WAY less and DOC should probably be lightened up as well.
The live tool drive won't live for long being subjected to this.

Back