What's new
What's new

How I make my bar pullers..............

david n

Diamond
Bar pullers come up every now and again 'round here.....................I was whippin' out a few pullers today and though I'd share my "design"..................close to 75% of my turning work is pulled. I have used Dunham's for a bit, but they are WAY over priced and they have been failing. They like to crack and eventually fall apart. These are for 1-5/8"Ø, 1-3/4"Ø, 1-7/8"Ø, and 2"Ø. I need to find a hunk of larger material so I can make some for the bigger Ø's, but this will keep my stocked for quite some time in these sizes.

I spin them outa 4140 HT.......................
IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

Here's how I do mine-

It's 2" x 1/2" aluminum with a throat cut in it. The blocks bolt to some 1x1 in the place of a stick tool but this could be readily adapted to work with the round holes as well. The relieved portion is the stock's OD + a little, the grip portion is some arbitrary dimension that fits my needs. The grip section is 0.100" wide or thick and engages a groove in the stock.

Since I use a 3mm (0.118") parting tool the gripper has about 0.018" of play and once dialed in will give me feed lengths of +/- 0.005". In certain instances this prevents me from having to face the part.

It also provides 100% positive feed control, no slippage as you can see the older unit has been damanged. In one instance I can manage my bar lengths such that the gripper removes the bar end and drops it on the conveyor.

It took me longer to explain this than to actually create the damn thing.

The parts you see here are the originals, little over a year old. I fully intended to try the prototype and then create good looking units but these kept working and here they are.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230111_195808_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230111_195808_Gallery.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 36
  • SmartSelect_20230111_195823_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230111_195823_Gallery.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 36
I take a pic of 1/4” aluminum flat bar. 2” wide. Drill a hole in it and cut a slot 0.01” smaller that the stock. Bevel the ends to let it squeeze open.

Bolt it to a 1” slog in a boring bar holder.
Cheap. Quick. Replaceable. Bend or wear out a gripper. Squeeze the finger in the vice till it’s smaller again.

Anything bigger than 1.5” steel then I got to steel flat bar. Min thickness 1/4” sq. On the fingeres.

Just works.

Something like these:

Back