What's new
What's new

How long does Fusion 360 programming take?

Azmetalman

Plastic
Our shop is moving from a manual machine shop to more of an automated machine shop. I am a manual machinist by trade and not at all a programmer, I'll be the first to admit it. I realize that these machines will help us accomplish some goals in our shop that we haven't been able to reach yet, but we are having a hell of a time getting them up and running, especially the CNC Router. My main question is, how long does it typically take to convert a file from 2D to 3D in Fusion 360? I have a guy working on it for me, but it seems like it's taking a long time. These are small flat parts about 1"X5" with a 3/8" radius on two long sides, and approx 45 degrees on the two short sides, with a couple 1/4" holes. Any advice?:(

Our shop is moving from a manual machine shop to more of an automated machine shop. I am a manual machinist by trade and not at all a programmer, I'll be the first to admit it. I realize that these machines will help us accomplish some goals in our shop that we haven't been able to reach yet, but we are having a hell of a time getting them up and running, especially the CNC Router. My main question is, how long does it typically take to convert a file from 2D to 3D in Fusion 360? I have a guy working on it for me, but it seems like it's taking a long time. These are small flat parts about 1"X5" with a 3/8" radius on two long sides, and approx 45 degrees on the two short sides, with a couple 1/4" holes. Any advice?:(

Hard to say without seeing it. However if it is as simple as it sounds should take 10 mins or so. That would be sketching the part in 2d getting dimensions from a print and then using extrude tools to make it into a 3d solid. Another 10 mins or so to apply basic 2d tool paths and drilling. Having your tools setup in the tool library makes things faster. Obviously the more you use the program the faster you get. So anyway I would think under 30 mins from print to machine code for something simple would be common.

If you can't even navigate this forum by posting in the proper place (the "CAD/CAM" forum) I don't think you'll be able to handle this ....:D
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cad-cam/

Sounds like your "guy" has no business operating a computer. Get him some training, or hire someone who is competent. The parts you've described should take 10-15minutes tops especially in something like fusion360.

I agree it should like a ten minute job.
People bitch about Fusion , but I like it, and it’s very quick to model and then generate tool paths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back