What's new
What's new

How rare are the South Bend Heavy 12 lathes?

GDL264

Aluminum
How rare are the Heavy 12 lathes (technically 12 3/4")? A few years back I had a chance to buy this South Bend Heavy 12 lathe. It was misidentified, showed little use and had a fair price. I believe it was in Scottsdale Arizona and I even drove over and looked at it because they had other tools also. I passed because I had a Heavy 10 and this 12 had an extremely short bed. I even considered swapping the beds but that e would have been extreme for the extra inch of swing. I do think about it whenever I try to clamp an oversize item in mine. I have even owned a SB 13" since then but I always liked the idea of a Heavy 12. I found info in a manual I have but I have never seen another.

Attachments

• h10riser.jpg
    h10riser.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 35
  • h10riser2.jpg
    h10riser2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 34
  • sb12.751copy.jpg
    sb12.751copy.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 29
  • -sb12.752copy.jpg
    -sb12.752copy.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 35
It is a factory model but yes, basically 3 chunks of cast iron and different gears. Probably would be tricky to align outside the factory. If I recall the Brochure is from 1962. Came in the paperwork with my 10L lathe I bought used.

I discovered advanced search and see this topic was already covered a few months ago.

Last edited:
Wow, looking at our built sheets and photos my lathe looks to be his lathe's little sister. 2 years apart and equipped almost the same except for the spacer blocks. Mine is not that nice any more with 20 years use since that photo. I side by side scanned the photos for comparison.

Attachments

• BOTH.JPG
    BOTH.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Card Both.JPG
    Card Both.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 25

Back