What's new
What's new

How should I clamp down thin aluminum sheet for milling? (63 thou)

metalchipmaker

Plastic
Hello, I just wanted to verify clamping method on thin aluminum sheet.

Most of the times, I deal with aluminum or brass bar that are usually clamped with vise.
There is one component that I need to machine out of aluminum sheet that is too thin (0.063" x 5.5" x 14") to clamp with vise.
Looks like most of times, these parts are machined with laser cutter or CNC router.
I've been outsourcing these to be cut on laser cutter, but I wanted to see if I can just make them in-house with a CNC mill to save some outsourcing cost.

I've saw YouTube videos with a vacuum chuck, but other components that are already set-up for vise system do not justify getting a vacuum chuck.
I also saw the superglue method, but I don't know if I trust the rigidity of the set-up when 45% of the material is removed from the aluminum sheet.
I was going to just make an aluminum subplate (1" x 6" x 15") that will clamp the sheet with 6x toe clamp.
Is this the most painless way to get this part machined or am I overlooking something obvious?

The tape and glue trick works surprisingly well. More convenient especially if you're cutting lots of through windows. If that 45% material removal you're referring to are blind pockets you may be better served making a vacuum plate.

Or clamp it to a wooden board leaving tabs to cut off after its done. We made fixtures out of arborite with top clamping plates to stop the thin sheet from lifting (0.020?).
You might also try reverse helix end mills which tend to push thin sheet downwards instead of lifting it.

How do you release .063” aluminum from the tape? I’ve used that for thicker parts but have been nervous to try it when the material is thin.

I used to do A LOT of work like this at Lockheed, airframe skins and whatnot. We used vacuum plate fixtures for all of the thinner stuff.

It is a lot easier to do than it sounds. A vac pump, motor, old 5 gal air compressor tank, an oil separator catch can and some fittings. The gasket material is sold in rolls and you just draw up a channel for it that seals around all of the features in the part.

It’s got wire EDM written all over it. I can cut 6mm aluminium at 30mm per minute, 1.5mm is double or triple that speed depending on flushing.

I know you specify milling but that does sound a pain.

I wouldn't suggest superglue for thin pc like that. Be difficult to remove it after without ruining it.

Fwiw, I use superglue a few times a week holding work in EDM applications-just not thin stuff.

Are there holes or features that go thru the center at all? Clamp the outside, finish the inside, clamp down into tapped holes in the fixture, remove the clamps and hit the outside. Or make a small vacuum plate that you can put in a vise and get a vacuum generator. The Vacuum Power Unit from Pierson Workholding is very simple to setup and use, and requires very little air.

Wax?

Back