What's new
What's new

How the Artemis 1 Rocket is made a good example of the US and Europe building in cooperation together.

i would REALLY love to know what new technology the SLS resulted in...
from my current knowledge of the program - it aint shit. 30 year old tech. i hope you're right.
It seems to always present itself after they are finished with it all.

i would REALLY love to know what new technology the SLS resulted in...
from my current knowledge of the program - it aint shit. 30 year old tech. i hope you're right.
They did a ridiculous amount of materials testing to develop allowables for new alloys and existing ones at extreme temperatures.

It is very difficult to make the *first* aerospace 3d hollow grid of mostly empty metal to make a very stiff light spar - aeroplanes etc.
It is very easy and cheap to mostly copy it, even by eyeball, for 90% of the results for 0.01% of the costs.

So the artemis probably cost 10x too much, due to US acquirement policies,
BUT it will likely deliver 10.000x its cost in benefits within 20 years.

And most of the 10x4 benefits will stay in the US, as the early adopter of new tech gets most of the big early benefits.

So probably some new company spinoffs, making millionares of the founders, but employing 1000s of US grads at 100-200k per year to develop and deploy the new tech, in endless new apps and fields.
And the thousands of new employees will largely spend most of the new wealth throughout the US economy.

It´s a very good idea for a government to spend money on education, and R&D, as this typically gets the government a 5:1 - 10:1 benefit in lifetime taxes and reduced government costs.

What a well written post.
The US government essentially followed this plan nearly nationwide after WW2.
During the 50's and early 60's which most people "remember" as a golden era, the jobs, technical development, and production that occurred was not completely unrelated to the fact that the US government specified, bought, and owned something between 80 -90% of all the machine tools in the nation. Bought to produce government contracts. Essentially we had a socialized manufacturing economy. There was a lapse during the 1980's as our production capabilities & social priorities changed & people as well as large companies found ways to make lots of money accessing products offshore, and avoiding taxes on shore. Apparently old successful economic methods are being revisited.

smt

Back