What's new
What's new

How to clean suede welding jacket?

tomjelly

Stainless
All the on line info is for high fashion stuff, I just want to clean this filthy thing so it won't stiffen up or shrink. It's really dirty, I'm thinking a little Dawn/water mix, sloshing and scrubbing with a brush in a bucket and spreading out to air dry. I don't care about any discoloration from water staining. What say you?

All the welding duds I purchased over the years were 'leather', not suede, and I never considered cleaning them..so I can't help, sorry.

Stuart

Use black leather dye on everything. Then all you need is a lint brush.
Use the saddle soap to keep your leathers soft and supple.

Saddle soap, yup. Just in case you were askin':D

Plain soap and water is a bad idea, because it removes the oils that are essential to keeping the leather flexible. Add neatsfoot after to re-oil if necessary.

Buy new black welding leathers for show. Keep your old dirty ones hidden for when you have to do dirty welding.

I actually have a "trench coat" set of dark brown leathers that Tillman made for a very short time.
They were super expensive for welding leathers and the only reason I ended up with a set was random chance.
The guy who ran the welding store attached to the welding school I was attending came outside when I was out for a smoke, looked at me and said "What size are you?" Shrugging and confusion yielded a set of those leathers he just wanted to get rid of, LoL
They were GREAT in the winter, served as a nice jacket, but brutal in the summer.
I never used them on the job, because they were too nice and I enjoyed wearing them as a jacket lol

Throw the jacket in the wash machine. Cold water and use woolite soap. block it out on an old towel until nearly dry, then Tumble air dry.

Leather doesn't shrink when it gets wet. It gets hard with heat though.

All the on line info is for high fashion stuff, I just want to clean this filthy thing so it won't stiffen up or shrink. It's really dirty, I'm thinking a little Dawn/water mix, sloshing and scrubbing with a brush in a bucket and spreading out to air dry. I don't care about any discoloration from water staining. What say you?
I threw my swede welding jacket in the washer machine with a detergent pod, some oxyclean and about a cup of fabric softener. Washed on normally and hung on a hanger outside to dry. I wore it that night to work and it was fine

Back