What's new
What's new

How to deburr "steep" 3D contour, 3-axis mill, MasterCAM 2022?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hello,

I'm currently deburring these contours (.250" ID counterbore) by hand:

3D deburr contour.png

But as I get older, it's harder and harder to do this nicely by hand. I would rather let the CNC mill do it. I guess a little lollipop cutter would be needed, but what about the programming? I've tried to get MasterCAM to make a deburr toolpath, but it seems to only allow a fixed bottom (or top) offset. I need the toolpath to change the offset to make a proper chamfer as the contour "steepness" changes.

I thought I saw this demo-ed as a new feature available in some recent MasterCAM version, Auto-chamfer or Smart-chamfer or something like that. If that exists, maybe is it only available with full Mill 3D? I currently have Mill 2D, which does thankfully include a few 3D toolpaths.

BTW, I asked my MasterCAM reseller about this a couple years ago and their only suggestion was to model a chamfer surface and interpolate on that, but I don't control the solid models from this customer so that is not a viable option.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

I don't control the solid models from this customer so that is not a viable option.

Make a copy of their model, put it on a different level and add the chamfers.
Deburr can do it but it looks like you don't have the multiaxis package to allow the tool to tilt and cut it. Normally you'd draw a line to define the tool axis and tell Mastercam that it's a 4 or 5 axis path.

That's Gravy, just chain the the 3D edge around the top of the hole using Contour. Select a 90deg chamfer tool, 3D chamfer in the drop down menu, and apply all your parameters.
If that doesn't work for you, Copy the solid to another level, add a Chamfer to it and FlowLine the chamfer with a ballnose or bullnose. You can even flowline with a Chamfer tool if you want.

I have an older version but for these type projects I simply draw my holes on a flat plane above the part then "project" the toolpath onto the surface of the actual part, quick, easy.

Back