What's new
What's new

How to figure out which v belt (reeves drive)

Continental made the DoAll band saws and the precursor name for the saw was Continental.

An example of the variable speed drive-Reeves used in the Continental-DoAll saws and band filers.
Mssrs John Land & Sons 1917.jpg
John

That is not what my variable speed drive looks like.
It has 1 set of pulleys that holds 2 belts, where the center moves side to side. It's a very similar setup to rockwell lathes I've seen online, which they were listed as reeves drive. So that's where I got the reeves term from if not entirely correct

That is not what my variable speed drive looks like.
It has 1 set of pulleys that holds 2 belts, where the center moves side to side. It's a very similar setup to rockwell lathes I've seen online, which they were listed as reeves drive. So that's where I got the reeves term from if not entirely correct

Term / brand isn't such a big deal. I think I have three variants among the several under-roof, Reeves direct clone/licensee or other.

Finding new belts that fit "whatever" you have, is the important part.

Lucked-out on the rare-as-hens-dentures "Quartet" combo mill, as it used the same belt as a ride-on warehouse / aircraft hanger floor maintenance machine sold in far larger numbers that had a GSA Federal/NATO stock number not yet gone dark.

What with pervasive VFD infestations, only a few variants of variable ratio belting are even still being adopted/retained in newer designs. I don't think Alzmetall's current and long-running implementations are exactly "Reeves" even in style.

I AM grateful my older AB5/S didn't use those, but PIV Werner-Reimers instead. Rumbles and grumbles, rather than screaming and whining, so is far less annoying to my damaged hearing.

:)

Good hunting!

Another question I have is how to set the belt tention. The motor bolts directly under the vs pulleys, so I can't really slide the motor over to tighten or loosen. Would just basicly have the belts "tight" while motor is loose and completely bolt it down to have it fully tensioned

The belts are self tensioning. This is why I said earlier that the two belt lengths a critical.

When you run the saw and adjust the speed, the belts will settle in to equilibrium.

If the belts are too long or short, the V.S. will not allow for full range of speeds.

Back