What's new
What's new

How to get a decent mouse???

mmurray70

Stainless
Anybody know of a decent mouse that doesnt break the bank? I always used just a average logitech mouse. Bought several years ago and they were all great. They are dying off and I've tried several newer ones and they are complete fucking garbage. Doesnt recognize small movements at all. Just another example how 10 years of newer technology puts us 20 years behind.

Old ones I liked were model V450. Just bought a new M525 and its junk. Movement is not precise at all. Has great reviews? I dont know whats wrong with people? Also tried a M325 and they didnt work to well either, and didnt last.

Any reccomendations?

There's nothing like a Kensington Expert Mouse. It's a large diameter trackball and it beats any mouse, anywhere. Extreme precision, never 'repositioning' to keep the mouse on the pad and it takes up 1/4 the space of a typical mouse pad. Try it before you blow it off.

Don't fall for other wannabe's. There is no substitute for a 2" ball. Anything smaller is awkward and imprecise.

Anybody know of a decent mouse that doesnt break the bank? I always used just a average logitech mouse. Bought several years ago and they were all great. They are dying off and I've tried several newer ones and they are complete fucking garbage. Doesnt recognize small movements at all. Just another example how 10 years of newer technology puts us 20 years behind.

Old ones I liked were model V450. Just bought a new M525 and its junk. Movement is not precise at all. Has great reviews? I dont know whats wrong with people? Also tried a M325 and they didnt work to well either, and didnt last.

Any reccomendations?
I use the 3DConnexion CAD Mouse and have no complaints

I am inherently dubious of wireless mice. I use wired ones, never a problem, even with cheapo ten dollar chinese ones. Bluetooth in general has latency problems. You cannot, for example, DJ using bluetooth- the lag is way too noticeable and annoying and ruins your fades and screws with your time sense.
Wireless is great for some things, crap for others. Its a one size fits all consumer product (bluetooth) and while it may be possible to optimize it with the perfect software at both ends, my experience with the mice is that they havent done that yet.

Anybody know of a decent mouse that doesnt break the bank?
It depends on what you consider breaking the bank?
With mice, you might want to go to your local Micro Center or similar and see what style fits your hand. I prefer the Razer Death Adder Elite (I have both the wired and wireless versions). Around $50 nowadays.
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Elite-Mechanical-Ergonomic/dp/B01LXC1QL0

If you're partial to Logitech, and want wireless, then spend the money and get the G303.
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/g303-shroud-wireless-mouse.910-006103.html

I'm not sure what you mean by not breaking the bank, but the Logitech MX Master works well for me.

I use it mostly with Solidworks and Fusion 360. I don't care much for the side scroll roller on the thumb but the middle button scroll wheel feels really nice.

RT

I like the gaming mouse, as they have 7 buttons. For browsing you have a forward and back button on the left side your thumb manipulates. they have 4 levels of DPI precision with a button behind the scroll wheel/button.
I've never had a problem with the $6-$10 ones on eBay.

It depends on what you consider breaking the bank?
With mice, you might want to go to your local Micro Center or similar and see what style fits your hand. I prefer the Razer Death Adder Elite (I have both the wired and wireless versions). Around $50 nowadays.
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Elite-Mechanical-Ergonomic/dp/B01LXC1QL0

If you're partial to Logitech, and want wireless, then spend the money and get the G303.
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/g303-shroud-wireless-mouse.910-006103.html

I'll second the Razor-DeathAdder. Mine is 15 years old or so. (5 button version, 3500 DPI) Still works great. Tracks on my wooden desk without a mousepad. A one-pixel move of the mouse is easy and repeatable.

Here is one for $18 (6400DPI, so better than the one I am happy with.)

I have had really good luck with the basic wired ones. $11.92

V7 M30P10-7N Standard USB Mouse (M30P10-7N)​

Its cheap and I have 4 of them on different machines in different places in the shop and even one at home for the last 5 or 6 years and have not had any stop working yet
I found a link to one on ebay but you could get them other places if you dislike ebay.

I'll second the Razor-DeathAdder. Mine is 15 years old or so. (5 button version, 3500 DPI) Still works great. Tracks on my wooden desk without a mousepad. A one-pixel move of the mouse is easy and repeatable.

Here is one for $18 (6400DPI, so better than the one I am happy with.)
I'll third that!

I love the Razor Death Adder Elite!

Whichever mouse you go with, try to pick one that has adjustable sensitivity by buttons right on the mouse. It is helpful to be able to adjust the mouse sensitivity on the fly.

Yupp, Logitech has gone by way of garbage lately.
I've had the same problem with erratic motion regardless of the model ( have about 9 of them )
My guess is that the driver is every bit as guilty in the shitty movement as the hardware.

Since I did want to stay wireless, instead of Logitech I went with Microsoft for couple of my machines.
Movement is quite reliable and smooth, but like bloody hell! the hardware is garbage!!!
I've gone through 3 mice due to buttons or scroll wheels going to shit, and the letters are worn off on half my keyboard!
Seriously?

Question to the deathadder guys: How is the driver? Can you configure the button functions? If I prefer to stick with the wireless model, is that also reliable?

I've been using the Micro Center "Inland" brand cheapo USB optical mice. Model 424291

They last pretty well, they are good at small movements if used on a good textured surface, and they are cheap, as in 10 bucks buys a couple of them, or did the last time I bought any.

Yes, I do 3D CAD quite a bit.

I've got an old Logitech wired (M-BZ96C model???) mouse for my main workstation, and use wireless Logitech M310 mice at the office and with the laptop. I've not noticed any issues with precise movement. These models are all optical, and I use the plainest of plain blue mousepads with the wireless mice.

Back