What's new
What's new

How to get a decent mouse???

Those wireless mice are not for me.
The simple Logitech with two buttons and a thumb wheel. Only thing is that the rolling ball collects garbage
and that stuff deposits on the wheels that turn inside, one for X and one for Y directions. The wheels have to
be clean to transmit the correct pulses for X and Y. Simple encoders that just send pulses out.

I use a cotton swab with water. If the cleaning isn't done periodically the mouse will appear broken.

Anybody know of a decent mouse that doesnt break the bank? I always used just a average logitech mouse. Bought several years ago and they were all great. They are dying off and I've tried several newer ones and they are complete fucking garbage. Doesnt recognize small movements at all. Just another example how 10 years of newer technology puts us 20 years behind.

Old ones I liked were model V450. Just bought a new M525 and its junk. Movement is not precise at all. Has great reviews? I dont know whats wrong with people? Also tried a M325 and they didnt work to well either, and didnt last.

Any reccomendations?
3dconnexion Cadmouse with spacemouse = last combo you'll ever need.

I'm running a Logitech MX Master 3 along with a Spacemouse compact, it works well for me. I haven't had any problems with the Logitech wireless mice I've used in the past. If you're having lagging movement issues with you wireless mouse, try moving your bluetooth dongle to line of sight with you mouse. Since my computer is buried underneath my desk, I keep a usb hub on top of my desk and the bluetooth dongle plugged in there, I have yet to have any lag with my mouse.

I have been using Logitech MX Revolution and now the MX Master 2S and 3 for years. My 1st one still works and are in use in my shop at home now for the tv/raspberry pi setup.
I use them for travelling as well. I think I had 2 fail after a few years each in a backpack everyday (The scroll wheel failed) They have been the most comfortable for me. That is what I have gotten for everyone who works for me and only one guy did not care for it. He had smaller hands and picked a travel sized mouse for his use.

Pair of Logitech G500s here, one each for home and work. They are both about 10 years old, and I am dreading the day I have to replace them. Call me crazy but I have replaced switches, re-affixed optical sensors, and performed other repairs to keep them ticking because the shape fits my hand so well, and muscle memory is important to me.

I like that it has onboard storage for button functions, I rebound one of the thumb buttons to hold down ctrl+alt for me to make a full set of hotkeys instantly accessible on single keyboard buttons like q, w, e, r, a, s, d, f, etc. Since the mouse was programmed that way at home and the profile stored in the mouse, it works on any computer with no fiddling required. I'd like to think this would be a feature any modern mouse can perform, but it could just as easily be cost-saved out of future production for no good reason. I hope I don't find out anytime soon, but maybe I'll give a trackball a go before I need to get rid of the mouse.

Get a Logitech mouse. Clean the inside. Adjust sensitivity with operating system.
BTW: roll the mouse over a dirty table and the wheels accumulate more crud. Use a mouse pad that can be whipped clean.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems like most fall into an elcheapo catagory or fancy gaming mice, i just want basic mouse with relatively precise movement. I need cordless and seems like battery life sucks in the gaming mice. My old v450 lasts a full year on 2aa batteries which can be swapped in seconds. Big pack of aas will get me to retirement. I dont really care for the fancy styling of the gaming mice either.

My old v450 has a "performance laser" and you can actually see a tiny little red laser underneath. The new ones i tried dont have any visible laser. I ordered a M510 to try, I think this one is supposed to have some kind of laser sensor but have seen contradicting info so not sure. If this one is junk too ill probably try the MX3 although I think its little overpriced, has 4 times less battery life then my old one, and needs to be recharged rather then just swapping aa batteries in seconds. I do have smallish hands too so not sure if it will fit as well.

Another Vote for the Logitech MX Master. The battery is rechargeable and lasts me many months. I carry mine around loose in a backpack doing work between the shop and home and never had anything break and love the feature for switching between multiple computers with a button click underneith.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems like most fall into an elcheapo catagory or fancy gaming mice, i just want basic mouse with relatively precise movement. I need cordless and seems like battery life sucks in the gaming mice. My old v450 lasts a full year on 2aa batteries which can be swapped in seconds. Big pack of aas will get me to retirement. I dont really care for the fancy styling of the gaming mice either.

My old v450 has a "performance laser" and you can actually see a tiny little red laser underneath. The new ones i tried dont have any visible laser. I ordered a M510 to try, I think this one is supposed to have some kind of laser sensor but have seen contradicting info so not sure. If this one is junk too ill probably try the MX3 although I think its little overpriced, has 4 times less battery life then my old one, and needs to be recharged rather then just swapping aa batteries in seconds. I do have smallish hands too so not sure if it will fit as well.

wireless or corded. IMO corded = win

If you like the V450, why not just get a new old stock one from ebay?
Considered that too. But it just seems like I shouldnt have to scrounge for discontinued products. I might just do that though. That old one did everything I wanted perfectly.

That CAD mouse looks nice too! Might look at those or the MX3 as next option. Thanks!

So I got the logitech m510. This one seems a little better but it still has a major issue.

If i make a super slow movement, seems like the software is eliminating these moves, thinking that its just the pointer creeping or something. If I move slow enough, i can go like 1/4" without having the pointer move! This is driving me nuts. Dam new fangled technology!

And I do prefer the smaller size v450 for my smallish hands. Im just gonna order some old ones on e-bay. 15 year old technology for the win, again and again. Man our world is going downhill fast...

So I got the logitech m510. This one seems a little better but it still has a major issue.

If i make a super slow movement, seems like the software is eliminating these moves, thinking that its just the pointer creeping or something. If I move slow enough, i can go like 1/4" without having the pointer move! This is driving me nuts. Dam new fangled technology!

And I do prefer the smaller size v450 for my smallish hands. Im just gonna order some old ones on e-bay. 15 year old technology for the win, again and again. Man our world is going downhill fast...
i'm gonna say it again...
3dconnexion cad mouse

For me personally, any mouse over $150 is too much. Unless it's a 3dx spacemouse for which it has a certain use.
i have the pro version of the spacemouse, its like 400 bucks but worth it IMO. lots of buttons you can configure etc.

Back