What's new
What's new

How to get a decent mouse???

I don't know the diff. between the Spacemouse and the Space PilotPro, but as far as the Space PilotPro, I would not do 3D modeling without it!
If you don't want to pay the full price, find a neighbor with a kid in school ( if you ain't got one of your own ) and get the educational discount for a 30-ish % discount.
It is all but useless for anything else, but I do find it indispensable for 3D stuff, CAD or CAM!

Regarding the OP's dilemma...
As far as I am concerned, the mouse and keyboard is every bit as important ( if not more so ) than ANY other component of your computer station.
CPU, Monitor, memory, hard drive .... all of that can be top of the line bleeding edge system, you're still going to hate every fucking second of working on it
if you despise the devices which puts you in charge.
As per the recommendations of some of the posters, I've got me a wired, 6400 DPI Razer Deathadder just to test.
Had it for the last 9 days, and I have not touched my original wireless mouse for 7 days!
The cursor response is flawless, so is the button response.
I do not recall ANY instance where I've had to do a double take on anything!

Only one gripe: The as-shipped mouse sucks major dick for "touch and feel" as the plastic is just slippery and does not provide any solid grip.
So, on day one I've ordered a Universal Grip Tape kit for it.
After selectively sticking them on the mouse, I now have a very solid hold and feel of it with my thumb, ring and pinky finger.

Another vote for MX Master. Been going 6 years on this mouse and it gets daily CAD/CAM/ECAD use so many many clicks. Never had any issues.

I've been using the Micro Center "Inland" brand cheapo USB optical mice. Model 424291

They last pretty well, they are good at small movements if used on a good textured surface, and they are cheap, as in 10 bucks buys a couple of them, or did the last time I bought any.

Yes, I do 3D CAD quite a bit.
I think the textured surface is more important than some realize. I tried using without a mouse pad for a while but found that even the old Microsoft ones would skid occasionally so I went back to always using a good pad. I still have a couple of the old SUN pads left and they work reliably and don't deteriorate like many newer ones.

Question for those of you using the MX Master. I have been using the Performance MX for years and for me Its the best Ive used so far. But of course Its discontinued and If you can find a new one they want $200 or more for one. How does the MX Master compare Ive been hesitant to try one?

Question for those of you using the MX Master. I have been using the Performance MX for years and for me Its the best Ive used so far. But of course Its discontinued and If you can find a new one they want $200 or more for one. How does the MX Master compare Ive been hesitant to try one?
I haven't used the Performance MX but it looks very similar. I'm a heavy mouse user and the MX Master has been excellent.

Hate to suggest this in this here nest of cheapskates, but Mickeysoft Explorer trackball is the best of all time.

If'n I wuz 25, I'd be making them.
I liked that mouse as well until it got dirty. It would be cool if a company re-released it with a constant cleaning feature for the ball and sensors.

"I'm not cheap, I'm just severely frugal." :)

It seriously pains me to pay $80 to $100 for a twenty year old $3 piece of plastic, but there it is. If you want a good one, them's the choices. Have heard there is now a japanese trackball built along the same lines and almost as good but I don't know the price.

My real fave was an HP trackball also with a huge ball that was just as smooth and nice as the Mickey Explorer, but they only came in HP-IL. That was also a wonderful interface for accessories but "failed in the marketplace" because bad drives out good :(

The fact is, no one in computing gives a crap about quality or what people want, we are just their cash cows and we'll eat what we are given, thank you very much, sir :(

Only Razer for mouse choice. As for keyboard i would rather go with Corsair's on cherry MX, they are far more enjoyable than even Huntsman series. But if you really care about budget, then you can go with some cheap Logitech but invest money into 3dconnexion spacemouse pro. That bad guy is really must have if you are working with CAM.

I have liked the MX Master series a little better than the Performance MX. I like the slight texture on them.

There's nothing like a Kensington Expert Mouse. It's a large diameter trackball and it beats any mouse, anywhere. Extreme precision, never 'repositioning' to keep the mouse on the pad and it takes up 1/4 the space of a typical mouse pad. Try it before you blow it off.

Don't fall for other wannabe's. There is no substitute for a 2" ball. Anything smaller is awkward and imprecise.
I use one and it's been super. Ruggedly built too.

I just picked up a Glorious D mouse and I am super happy with it. It is extremely light and has a really nice cord on it that never seems to get in the way like on some other mice I've used. Good shape and the scroll wheel has a nice notchy feel.

Back