What's new
What's new

How to make a gauge tool?

The wire gauges, IIRC are hardened after fabrication, correct? If so, doesn't that imply some grinding or lapping after HT? Maybe not for -0.000/+0.001? In the higher quality gauges I have that are similar to the OP's picture, the faces of the gauging mouth seem to be awfully smooth and precisely flat and parallel. So the process would be
1) Progressive Die:
a) Cut out disk with hole in middle
b) Punch out holes corresponding to slots
c) Punch out slots
d) Stamp with mfr name and indices
2) Heat Treat harden
3) Heat Treat Temper
4) Lap each slot flat and parallel
5) Test each slot for tolerance

Your specs are essentially +/- 0.0005" for each slot. Unless you can allow a high scrap rate that means you need to shoot for +/- 0.0002". I don't see any way around doing some fine lapping work and testing if you want an accurate gauge.

.001 total is very probably not possible with laser or waterjet. In addition there will be a corner radius you may not be able to tolerate.

We don't know your intended market or even really the use of this gage but FWIW I sure wouldn't pay $30 for one. Then again, I'll bet some of the name brand sheet metal gages are that much, if they still make them.
Here you go: $102 for a Starrett:
71oOK4NkHVL._SL1000_.jpg

Why would it need to be +.001/-.000? I think the closest hex key sizes are like .050 and .074. (I could be wrong, not looking at a metric/inch chart currently)

Laser cut would be hands down the cheapest way to go, with no investment up front. In 10Gage matl my 2Kw Fiber laser can hold about +/- .002 without constant monitoring, I can do about the same on my waterjet. I can hold .0005 all day on the wire. Pick your price, about $3.00ea for the laser, about $8-10ea for the jet and about $35 each for the wire, based on a 100 pcs each. And no, I don't want the work, far to busy for small stuff like this, just thought I'd throw in my .02cents

Plus with the laser you can have engraving at no extra cost really. (minimally anyway)

You need to decide what your tolerances are going to be first. In other words, how far are the steps between the thicknesses you want to be measuring?

There's a difference in determining numbered sheet metal vs. thicknesses of mill run flat bar.

A die is going to be the cheapest by far. And the more you make, the cheaper they get. However, a laser can be very competitive at low volumes.

With a $30 budget just buy a Chinese digital caliper. When properly adjusted, they will give you the hex size to the nearest thousandth or two. And if someone drops it and it breaks, just buy another.

Another problem with making a gauge tool product is that if a good salable product it is likely that a China product will be in competition for 1/2 your price.
Even having a patent may not give you very much protection.

Design it up for laser your tolerances sound too much for what's needed. Open the the tolerances up a little upload your file to sendcutsend.com and get a bunch made up, I think it's that simple.

Back