What's new
What's new

How to measure TIR of a hydrodynamic bearing spindle?

luke8888

Aluminum
I'm in a process of reconditioning an old surface grinder that uses a hydrodynamic bearing as its main spindle bearing. The problem is that at speed the spindle relies on an oil film to provide rigidity and support. So slow turning by hand results in very weird measurements. I've been trying to run the spindle for a bit, hit the off button and try to measure as it comes to a stop, but I'm not entirely sure my test indicators can measure the full extent of a still fairly fast movement.

I'm supposed to set TIR to under 4 tenths (10 microns), but I can't if I'm not able to measure it properly... The machine manual doesn't specify any special method of measurement. There is a, drawing showing a meter touching the front taper and that's it. There are people that rebuild those spindles for a living and they are understandably tight lipped. So I decided to ask here.

For those interested in the details. The bearing uses a stationary cast iron taper into which a solid bronze bushing is pulled in by a clearance adjustment nut. This bearing is different from your typical plain bronze bearing in few ways. The most important are:
- no oil supply notches on the bronze bushing. Instead the shaft has a spiral groove which pumps oil under pressure into the gap.
- no slits cut in the bronze bushing to allow it to compress evenly etc. Instead some material is removed from the outside allowing it to deform when pulled in by the nut. As a result a lot of force is required to adjust it. Also the bushing is far from circular, but it appears to work well.

I have the usual assortment of dial and test indicators that measure down to a micron.

Edit: Alternatively, perhaps someone knows what the clearance for the oil film should be in such bearing? It runs as 2700rpm. The bore is 35mm (1.377in) and it uses iso vg 6 oil. Currently I have 30 microns of clearance and using my flawed measuring methods it seems the running TIR is ~8 microns.

Last edited:
The simple way to deal with this (at least what I have done with my surface grinder spindle) is set the clearance with the machine off (push up and let it settle, pull down let return etc and aim for a bit more than your target (say 7 microns) as no matter how you go about it the measurement is going to be approximate. Then you run the machine until it is good and warm and make sure it doesn't lock up. You can then tighten it slightly if necessary but with an abundance of caution.
Luke

Please tell us the brand of the machine and if you have a drawing of the spindle please attach a copy here. I would assume from what you wrote the measurement is the the push and pull of the spindle to get the.0004" movement (in and out, not TIR of the taper) of the spindle to get the correct TIR. On a grinder spindle I would hope it to be .0001" or less when the spindle is warm and rotating it by hand after it is adjusted when warm and measuring the taper. I would also buy or use a infra-red thermometer .and measure the temp of the spindle front taper at 40 C or 104F. I see your in Poland so I am assuming the machine manual is written in Polish, but the blueprint or drawing is like looking at a Playboy magazine. Who reads the articles...LOL

Last edited:
4 tenths is almost a half thousandth so way much for a running spindle.
Perhaps that is the cold or not-running setting.
*If it is working well I would not adjust it without having a clear understanding of proper adjusting.
Likely the manufacturer or service tech should be contacted...if a PM guy does not have the answer. with no guessing.. *Defiantly as Richard mentioned. (Please tell us the brand of the machine and if you have a drawing of the spindle please attach a copy here.

Last edited:
When warm and running at speed the spindle run-out should be quite low, (a few microns) although what really matters is the run out of the dressed wheel although good luck measuring that. It is best to test grind and see how it works. You definently will have static clearance than runout if things are working correctly.
Luke

In a hydrodynamic bearing it's the oil pressure that centralizes and supports the spindle. I'm wondering if the 4 tenths you mention is what you would measure with the spindle stopped, but prying it up to measure clearance. During running, the tir ought to be essentially zero unless the load exceeds what the oil pressure can correct.

In a hydrodynamic bearing it's the oil pressure that centralizes and supports the spindle. I'm wondering if the 4 tenths you mention is what you would measure with the spindle stopped, but prying it up to measure clearance. During running, the tir ought to be essentially zero unless the load exceeds what the oil pressure can correct.

It would be helpful to know if the spindle really is hydrodynamic, not hydrostatic, and relies on rotation for the film buildup.

Hydrodynamic bearings run on a wedge shaped oil film. The center of rotation of the shaft is offset from the center of the bronze bushing. The bearing design is controlled by the journal diameter, the bearing length,the bearing clearance, journal speed, the oil viscosity at the bearing operating temperature and the load applied to the journal. If the clearance is too small the oil film temperature will rise rapidly, the effective oil viscosity will be zero and the bearing will fail. If the clearance is too large the rotating journal will not generate sufficient pressure in the oil film to support the applied loads.

The spindle manufacturer will specify a radial clearance and a operating oil temperature rise above room temperature for a properly adjusted bearing.

The 30 micron diameter clearance for a 1.4 inch diameter journal sounds about right based on the .001" clearance for every inch of shaft diameter design criteria used in the mechanical design textbooks. A precision lightly loaded grinding spindle might use clearances much less than this.

The bronze bushing should have a round bore. I suspect that there are burrs between the bushing and the cast iron sleeve.

There are non circular hydrodynamic bearing designs that will keep the center line of the journal aligned with the center line of the bronze bushing. The modified bushings have three or four equally spaced slots machined along the length of the bearing. The slotted bearings approximate the geometry that occurs with pivoting shoe hydrodynamic bearings which are also self centering.

The spiral groove on the journal functions as a oil pump. It is used to maintain a constant oil flow rate and a corresponding low temperature rise in the bearing oil film.

Last edited:
Who makes the spindle? Model?

Different manufacturers design hydro spindles in different ways. Okuma, Cincinnati, Shiguya, B&S, Studer, Kellenberger, etc etc etc, all have different ways to skin the cat, and therefore different clearances required.

Without knowing exactly what you are working with its hard to assist much.

Your runout, if accurate, is high. This is usually either bad actual runout on the shaft where you are measuring or improper clearances allowing excess play. IMO its probably a combination of both in this case but thats just a guess. I do think your clearance is a little high on a shaft that size but again without more data we are all just guessing.

Dynamic runout can be measured, but doesn't necessarily mean much in this application as you could be too loose and yet only see some of the runout as the shaft is just sitting in the bottom of the saddle spinning.

Can't you manually pick up the contactor for the hydraulic pump without activating the spindle motor ? That'd give you pressure without the spindle turning.
That will not work.
One can have sub micron indicators but what is the response speed or bandwidth at 3000 rpm?
Same with capacitive sensors.
Hydro or air bearings work differently at speed.

Last edited:
A properly designed hydrodynamic bearing has zero run out while running at constant speed, constant load, and constant temperature. The exception is a poorly designed bearing which can have a oil film wedge that rotates around the journal. The process is called oil film whirl and it can occur when the spindle is operating at high speeds and low loads.

The main concern when adjusting the radial clearance is bearing stiffness. The center of rotation of the journal moves with changing load. The ability of the grinder to control part size will be determined by how much the center moves when going from maximum wheel loading to zero wheel loading at spark out. A unbalanced grinding wheel will add a once per revolution error which will affect surface finish rather than part size.

A inductive sensor would work for measuring journal run out while grinding and would be one way to set bearing clearance based on the effective radial stiffness of the journal bearing.

The sensor would need access to the steel wheel adapter flange.
It might require a air blast to keep the sensor face clear of coolant or grinding dust.

This one has a resolution of .06 microns at 520 hz. with a accuracy of 1.0 micron

Last edited:
Wow, lots of great replies, thank you. I wasn't expecting that :-)

Can't you manually pick up the contactor for the hydraulic pump without activating the spindle motor ? That'd give you pressure without the spindle turning.

The pump is actually a spiral groove cut into the shaft. It pumps as it spins... But as another poster said the dynamic behaviour will be different. There are various effects at speed like the oil wedge etc.

The simple way to deal with this (at least what I have done with my surface grinder spindle) is set the clearance with the machine off (push up and let it settle, pull down let return etc and aim for a bit more than your target (say 7 microns) as no matter how you go about it the measurement is going to be approximate. Then you run the machine until it is good and warm and make sure it doesn't lock up. You can then tighten it slightly if necessary but with an abundance of caution.
Luke

That is exactly what I did :-) I still would like to make a good measurement. So I know I've done the reconditioning correctly, but today I did just that. Then I found a scientific article where they were estimating an oil film thickness by measuring the lift of the spindle shaft as it is turned on and reaches it's speed. I ended up using this method as my clearance got below 20 microns because by pulling on the shaft I couldn't tell how much is clearance and how much it is flexing... The lift was very obvious.

Also in that article they gave all the details of their spindle. It happened to be very similar in many ways to what I have (except the size). So after scaling to my spindle size and getting the desired oil film thickness of ~7 microns I came to a conclusion the machine manual where it tells you yo get the runout to "under 10 microns" they don't actually mean the runout... They mean the clearance. There is actually wording to the effect of "measure on the taper while slowly turning the spindle by hand". I assumed it was just a standard acceptance form used for all sorts of machines (yes, machine acceptance criteria like spindle runout was standardised in Poland long time ago). But now I believe it is actually correct.

Please tell us the brand of the machine and if you have a drawing of the spindle please attach a copy here. I would assume from what you wrote the measurement is the the push and pull of the spindle to get the.0004" movement (in and out, not TIR of the taper) of the spindle to get the correct TIR. On a grinder spindle I would hope it to be .0001" or less when the spindle is warm and rotating it by hand after it is adjusted when warm and measuring the taper. I would also buy or use a infra-red thermometer .and measure the temp of the spindle front taper at 40 C or 104F. I see your in Poland so I am assuming the machine manual is written in Polish, but the blueprint or drawing is like looking at a Playboy magazine. Who reads the articles...LOL

Sure I will.

First let me say I do have an infrared thermometer (actually two, one is a special high temperature model reserved for heat treatment) and I 100% agree with work like this it is absolutely necessary.

The brand is Jotes Spc20a, the spindle is made by a Polish bearing manufacturer FŁT (also known as PBF). BTW, it is a machine made very long time ago.

Here is a spindle drawing:
Compress_20230419_121200_0669.jpg
The zigzag shape on the shaft is the pumping part. It is supposed to use angular contact bearings 7206 class 5 in the back. It runs in Mobil Velocite 6.

Who makes the spindle? Model?

Different manufacturers design hydro spindles in different ways. Okuma, Cincinnati, Shiguya, B&S, Studer, Kellenberger, etc etc etc, all have different ways to skin the cat, and therefore different clearances required.

Without knowing exactly what you are working with its hard to assist much.
I do give the details above, but they are really just a curiosity. I'm almost certain people that know anything about this specific spindle will not say a word here, because any published information affects their ability to charge pretty penny for rebuild services. One of the reasons why I started this rebuild myself is to put more information about this spindle on the net. It is an old model. Many people consider it's "plain" front bearing inferior and there is a market here in Poland for a rolling bearing replacement service for this one and similar spindles.

Your runout, if accurate, is high. This is usually either bad actual runout on the shaft where you are measuring or improper clearances allowing excess play. IMO its probably a combination of both in this case but thats just a guess. I do think your clearance is a little high on a shaft that size but again without more data we are all just guessing.

Based on grinding tests I done I think the actual dynamic runout is a lot less. Possibly below 5 microns judging by the surface finish left by a single pass with fast table speed (so one rotation is a couple of mm on the part). But I don't have a good way to measure it. Also, this is an old and worn machine with other issues that are beyond the scope of this post.

What would be a "good" runout for a spindle of this size? (note the machine is 60+ years old, but let's disregard it for now).

Dynamic runout can be measured, but doesn't necessarily mean much in this application as you could be too loose and yet only see some of the runout as the shaft is just sitting in the bottom of the saddle spinning.
Do you mean it is not loaded? As in not grinding at the moment? Yes, in some way measuring runout like this is futile and the real test is grinding... I might just have realised that now.

I've only messed with one such thing years ago. The final adjustments were done by temperature rise after running for a while.

That is how I did it today. When I got an operating temperature of 33C (same when not doing anything and doing light grinding after an hour). I decided (based on the surface finish) I don't need to push it further.

I have an interest to find out how good it can get, but I worry pushing it harder can result in very rapid damage. I've dealt with oil lubricated plain bearings before (with gravity fed oil, no pumping) and I have experienced a thermal runaway of such bearing. There isn't enough time to stop it before damage occurs when it starts unless one happens to notice the signs beforehand in temperature measurements (as one should - that thermal runaway was entirely my fault, it was many years ago and I didn't really know what I was doing back then, also the machine back then was bought for scrap value essentially).

A properly designed hydrodynamic bearing has zero run out while running at constant speed, constant load, and constant temperature.

This scientific article authors would disagree with this statement : "Experimental study of a precision, hydrodynamic wheel spindle for submicron cylindrical grinding" by J. F. Tu, M. Corless, M. J. Gehrich, and A. J. Shih". PDF attached.
The exception is a poorly designed bearing which can have a oil film wedge that rotates around the journal. The process is called oil film whirl and it can occur when the spindle is operating at high speeds and low loads.
Yes, oil whirl is a very important issue. One interesting fact I learned during research for this task is that hydrodynamic bearing bushings are designed to not be round! Having it really nice round and circular exacerbates oil whirl. The bushing should at least be crushed (elliptical) or have other geometry. And here I thought it is a fault of my spindle that my bushing is far from circular. I can describe it's shape only as triangular, or star-like with 3 inward lobes and 3 outward lobes.

The main concern when adjusting the radial clearance is bearing stiffness. The center of rotation of the journal moves with changing load. The ability of the grinder to control part size will be determined by how much the center moves when going from maximum wheel loading to zero wheel loading at spark out. A unbalanced grinding wheel will add a once per revolution error which will affect surface finish rather than part size.
One thing I woukd like to add that this in this grinder due to how it is used (finish passes taking material to final size "gently"). Spindle stiffness affects less final dimensions of the parts - once one learns how to use the machine properly. But what it does affect is surface quality at a given non-trivial grinding load. For example, how good the surface is after a single pass, 1 thou DOC, 470 ipm table feed, a quarter inch step over with medium dress?

A inductive sensor would work for measuring journal run out while grinding and would be one way to set bearing clearance based on the effective radial stiffness of the journal bearing.

The sensor would need access to the steel wheel adapter flange.
It might require a air blast to keep the sensor face clear of coolant or grinding dust.

This one has a resolution of .06 microns at 520 hz. with a accuracy of 1.0 micron

Thank you. This is interesting.

Attachments

• 98_PE_Hydrodynamic_spindle.pdf
    712.8 KB · Views: 15
I have one of the Mitutoyo SERIES 543 IDH-530 indicators that has a 0.5 micron display and claimed total accuracy of 1.5 microns (Japanese are conservative though.) It calculates the TIR and has (again claimed) 1000mm/s response speed. I'm pretty sure they are using a fully optical scale internally. My unit came with a little precision wheel tip, I'm pretty sure the idea of this thing is to be able to give you the TIR on a running spindle, but maybe I'm wrong. It would be a little bit of a pain, but if you really wanted me to I could fixture it up against a 3000RPM motor shaft and see what it reports.

I have one of the Mitutoyo SERIES 543 IDH-530 indicators that has a 0.5 micron display and claimed total accuracy of 1.5 microns (Japanese are conservative though.) It calculates the TIR and has (again claimed) 1000mm/s response speed. I'm pretty sure they are using a fully optical scale internally. My unit came with a little precision wheel tip, I'm pretty sure the idea of this thing is to be able to give you the TIR on a running spindle, but maybe I'm wrong. It would be a little bit of a pain, but if you really wanted me to I could fixture it up against a 3000RPM motor shaft and see what it reports.
That is interesting. I'll look into it too. Thank you.

The grinder I worked with was an old Levin-Tsugami OD instrument grinder. Quite rare. The wheel spindle looked very similar to your taper design, but had tapers on both ends, not rolling bearings. The oil was crazy thin, like water thin. There may have been a lower Velocite number back then, but I can't find any reference to it. Though it may have been Velocite #3, I remember something like #1 or #2. Thinnest stuff I've ever seen, but that's what worked correctly with the taper design.

Back