What's new
What's new

How to remove diamond dresser Deckel SO

neevo

Plastic
Hello everyone. I’m really happy to have acquired a Deckel SO that needs some love. It appears to be an 80’s model and I’m going through the process of getting it apart, unfrozen and derusted.

I good with all of it except the diamond dresser. It was frozen solid and I’ve managed to free it up enough to work on it, but I’m not sure the process to remove the entire assembly from the wheel guard. Can anyone offer some advice?

Pics for attention.

447D0FBB-BB4D-4667-986A-84FEF9AA69C3.jpeg

5091F302-3C06-49BA-97F6-FC2B7BAF84DA.jpeg

Thanks for that! I’ll worry about the key later as unfortunately I can’t leave it all in there as it’s the worst part when I comes to rust.

Interpreting the text, I assume I remove the set screw (done) and unscrew the knurled section all the way out? That has some rust resistance so I don’t want to break anything if I use some grips to keep winding it out.

Really appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Success! Thanks :)

Unwound the adjuster all the way and the whole assembly pulls out the right hand side and leaves the adjuster and a washer. Taps with a persuader through the bore pushes adjuster out the other side. The adjuster has a collar that doesn’t rotate which was rusted in to the bore.

76AFD600-C111-4F91-9FCB-44A1950FF5E8.jpeg

4099EEE6-88FD-4AE1-919C-1DF5754342A9.jpeg

Another question for the gurus. How is the locking mechanism on the work head spindle supposed to work? Mine was missing a woodruff key on the dial which I have replaced but it’s not locking the spindle as I would expect. The locking ring is engaging but it’s not locking the dial when the rear nut is tightened to the dial.

This is without a collet installed.

I found the problem as I was taking photos to upload. The key I had was too large and I milled it down to the correct height. This left too much stick out beyond the dial and fouled the locking ring. Ground that back and now it locks tight.

Back