What's new
What's new

How to Spend $43k on CNC Mill & Lathe Tooling

UtahTechFabLab

Plastic
Hi Y'all!

I work as a manufacturing lab manager for a state university, and I was recently given about $43,000 to help tool up a 2015 DMG Mori Duravertical and a 2011 Mori Seiki NL2500Y that we have in our engineering fabrication lab.

I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for unique or particularly helpful things that you would buy? What tips do you have?

I'm already planning on hitting all the basic things... toolholding, workholding, live tools for the lathe, etc. And I'm exploring all of the discounts that I can for educational institutions. But I'm asking beyond all that. I'm looking for what might be lesser-known things that you end up using a ton, or things that have allowed you to make unexpected things with your machines. Since we don't produce any specific parts, flexibility is king -- anything that helps us do more with the machines we have is attractive to me.

UPDATE: There are two things that I should share based on the great feedback y'all have given me already.

First, we use these machines for two main purposes. Purpose #1, we run labs where young engineering students are introduced to basic principles of machining. We are not a trade school, so we're not training machinists -- but, for example, my students are designing their own injection molds and then creating the toolpath and cutting them on our Duravertical. It's very time-consuming for me, but it gives our engineers a valuable experience that will make them much better designers if they ever need to make an injection molded part. I want all our machines to serve that purpose.

Purpose #2, we use these machines to make just about everything that needs to get made anywhere in the engineering department. Student design projects, Senior Design, lab projects, you name it. That's why I say tools that allow me to maximize flexibility are key.

Second, I should have said this off the bat, but this money is from a particular state grant and I must spend it by May or it's gone. So unfortunately I can't wait to see what I need. I have to just spend it all or I lose it. Don't you just love how the government spends money!?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A spindle speeder for the mill can be a help if you wind up with the need for small cutters, but many are not great for stiffness, so use with care. Pricing could go from ~$1K for the air fed, to $10+K for the fancy pants types.

You can get them for the lathe too.

I'm already planning on hitting all the basic things... toolholding, workholding, live tools for the lathe, etc. And I'm exploring all of the discounts that I can for educational institutions. But I'm asking beyond all that. I'm looking for what might be lesser-known things that you end up using a ton, or things that have allowed you to make unexpected things with your machines.

There's a couple of things I've seen recently that I have a crush on : one is a little laser marking station. I can see where that would be sooo handy.

Another is a small induction heater. Heat treating, shrink fits, makes shrink tooling for the mill practical, silver soldering/brazing joints, I see so many practical uses for that thing.

Neither one is especially expensive. Not the kind of thing you'd probably be considering but potentially so useful, for pretty small money, is why I bring it up.

Hi Y'all!

I work as a manufacturing lab manager for a state university, and I was recently given about $43,000 to help tool up a 2015 DMG Mori Duravertical and a 2011 Mori Seiki NL2500Y that we have in our engineering fabrication lab.

I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for unique or particularly helpful things that you would buy? What tips do you have?

I'm already planning on hitting all the basic things... toolholding, workholding, live tools for the lathe, etc. And I'm exploring all of the discounts that I can for educational institutions. But I'm asking beyond all that. I'm looking for what might be lesser-known things that you end up using a ton, or things that have allowed you to make unexpected things with your machines. Since we don't produce any specific parts, flexibility is king -- anything that helps us do more with the machines we have is attractive to me.

Thanks!
Can you explain more what the machines will be used for? Are these for teaching students about machining? Or for only experienced users to make what the university needs? I'm finding it hard to come up with recommendations when we don't know what your goals are.

Can you explain more what the machines will be used for? Are these for teaching students about machining? Or for only experienced users to make what the university needs? I'm finding it hard to come up with recommendations when we don't know what your goals are.
Hey thanks! I've modified the original post.

Second, I should have said this off the bat, but this money is from a particular state grant and I must spend it by May or it's gone. So unfortunately I can't wait to see what I need. I have to just spend it all or I lose it. Don't you just love how the government spends money!?
Have you considered a tooling certificate? We sell them, as do some others.

This would really take the pressure off you. What happens after you blow through the entire budget and need to buy something else?

P.S. We do edu discounts.

Have you considered a tooling certificate? We sell them, as do some others.

This would really take the pressure off you. What happens after you blow through the entire budget and need to buy something else?

P.S. We do edu discounts.
Woah that's a fantastic idea! Thanks so much! I have a feeling that something like a voucher might not be allowed, but I'm going to ask!

I like your stuff though! I badly need a couple bench vises... One to beat on, and one or two for smaller stuff, exactly like the one you sell. And we may need another ~6" machine vise (or three) for our Bridgeports. And any chance that I could get a 6" Delta IV in my possession before June?

Not to bug you, but feel free to contact me! My info is under the faculty page at mech.utahtech.edu.

Thanks!

A 3D laser engraver would be great for not just marking parts, but adding textures and fine details to mold cavities. It would eat up a fair bit of your budget though, but that sounds like it might be a good thing..

Hi Y'all!

I work as a manufacturing lab manager for a state university, and I was recently given about $43,000 to help tool up a and a 2011 Mori Seiki NL2500Y that we have in our engineering fabrication lab.

UPDATE: There are two things that I should share based on the great feedback y'all have given me already.

First, we use these machines for two main purposes. Purpose #1, we run labs where young engineering students are introduced to basic principles of machining. We are not a trade school, so we're not training machinists -- but, for example, my students are designing their own injection molds and then creating the toolpath and cutting them on our Duravertical. It's very time-consuming for me, but it gives our engineers a valuable experience that will make them much better designers if they ever need to make an injection molded part. I want all our machines to serve that purpose.

Purpose #2, we use these machines to make just about everything that needs to get made anywhere in the engineering department. Student design projects, Senior Design, lab projects, you name it. That's why I say tools that allow me to maximize flexibility are key.

Thanks!
Depends on what tooling etc
id have a multitude of general things, like turning tool holders, threading tools, grooving tooling id and od, and live tool milling spindles that can be a couple grand each.
on the mill side is obviously a good vice, like orange that is a couple grand, and if it doesnt have a tool setter probe in the machine like a renishaw id be getting that then just various tooling like small and large face mills in the 2,3 and 4-5" size. lots of extra tool holders and lengths and good pull studs and various either shrink fit tooling or ER collets or both. you can blow through 40 k fast.
A digital height gauge can be nice to have also, and dedicated measurements for each machine in a dedicated tooling cart.

Hi Y'all!

Thanks!
I have a deal for you!
Mark

Definitely a Haimer (or similar) 3D tester "taster" manual probe for the vertical mill. With some spare probe tips!

These manual probes are easy to use (easy to damage as any probe), enables quick setting of XYZ zeros, and can even use it and the mill as a CMM to measure stuff.

Good way to teach the students the importance of setting good reference zeros...and how it all ties-in with the CAD/CAM programming. Using the 3D tester would give them practice using the handwheel, with it's different speeds and axis'.

Speaking of CAD/CAM....might need to upgrade?

Back