What's new
What's new

How to use a probe on cnc mill

cuttergrinder

Hot Rolled
We bought a Mazak cnc mill a while back and it came with a probe. We have never used it. The previous owner said it was pretty fragile and while getting our feet wet on the machine we decided to use an edge finder until we figured out the rest of the machine. Well now we would like to try and use the probe. I tried putting it in the spindle but it doesnt seem to work now. I assume the batteries are dead. But if we get some batteries how exactly do you use it. So do you just use it manually like you would use an edge finder or do you use it in mdi mode? It has a red light behind the spindle and I believe this is for the probe but not sure. It also has a program to recalibrate the probe. I believe the probe used to be tool number 1 in the tool changer and I think someone used that spot for another tool so the offset is probably off but I assume we could reset that with the tool touch probe.

If it's a Renishaw probe, I've usually seen these used in canned cycles. E.g., you fill in a couple numbers about what fixture offset you're finding and how big (roughly) your part is. Hit Cycle Start, the probe goes blink blink beep beep and it stores the offset for you. No writing numbers, no subtracting .100" the wrong direction. Slicker than snot on a doorknob.

Typos are most easily found after clicking "post reply"

If it's a Renishaw probe, I've usually seen these used in canned cycles. E.g., you fill in a couple numbers about what fixture offset you're finding and how big (roughly) your part is. Hit Cycle Start, the probe goes blink blink beep beep and it stores the offset for you. No writing numbers, no subtracting .100" the wrong direction. Slicker than snot on a doorknob.

Typos are most easily found after clicking "post reply"
It is a renishaw probe.

Attachments

• PXL_20240104_124003826.jpg
    PXL_20240104_124003826.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
The previous owner said something about how to use it but at the time we were more concerned about about basic operations of the machine. Would you have any idea how to access the cycles to make it probe or would that be written in the program. I know the program to recalibrate the probe is a mazatrol program.

On our Mazak we had some time back we had to designate T1 as a measuring tool before it would work. Also we could not run the probe in MDI. We had to either add the probe to the program at the beginning or the end after the M30. For initial pick up we jogged it to touch manually and set the work offsets.

On our Mazak we had some time back we had to designate T1 as a measuring tool before it would work. Also we could not run the probe in MDI. We had to either add the probe to the program at the beginning or the end after the M30. For initial pick up we jogged it to touch manually and set the work offsets.
So you can use it manually? I was always scared to play around with it. I think the probe is made of glass and I guess they are kind of pricey

So you can use it manually? I was always scared to play around with it. I think the probe is made of glass and I guess they are kind of pricey
do NOT manually jog the probe into anything!
i would reach out to mazak and get the apps engineers to walk you through how to use it. machine should have cycles for probing different things. if you jog the probe tip into anything manually, you will break it.

do NOT manually jog the probe into anything!
i would reach out to mazak and get the apps engineers to walk you through how to use it. machine should have cycles for probing different things. if you jog the probe tip into anything manually, you will break it.
Ok I thought maybe the axis would stop moving once the probe touches something. I assumed the probe was not original to the machine but I could be wrong.

Ok I thought maybe the axis would stop moving once the probe touches something. I assumed the probe was not original to the machine but I could be wrong.
It usually comes as an option. Some MTB's have their own probing routines. Some just use them the way Renishaw intended. As @empower said, best place to start would be reaching out to an AE at Mazak. Need to make the all of the proper probing routines are loaded into your machine, and you'll need to learn how to calibrate the probe as well.

I should have been clearer. Im sorry. It will beep, but it will not stop. I would put it in .001 increment in jog mode and creep it up to the part until it beeped and stop . If you keep going it will break the probe. Also make sure you indicate the probe ball before calibrating.

I should have been clearer. Im sorry. It will beep, but it will not stop. I would put it in .001 increment in jog mode and creep it up to the part until it beeped and stop . If you keep going it will break the probe. Also make sure you indicate the probe ball before calibrating.
what is the point of this?

call mazak. it's not black magic or voodoo. there's no documentation with it??
it's way easier than than an edge finder,. the most common thing to break is the tip, which is replaceable.

what is the point of this?
quite simple. When you first load your parts into whatever fixture you are using you need to pick the part up correct? Ok I would use the probe manually to rough in my workoffsets, because our Mazak would not run probe routines in MDI. I would come in like a edge finder and set my x and y and on top to set my z. With those locations stored I could run the probe routine from within the program.

We are a job shop and sometimes only make one part. Probably for this the probe would be no faster than an edge finder by the time made the program for it.

I looked through all the mazak operating manuals. I don't see anything about the probe other than its an option.

We are a job shop and sometimes only make one part. Probably for this the probe would be no faster than an edge finder by the time made the program for it.
Only if you don't know how to use a probe and have to spend 5 minutes indicating in a new tip after you jogged the first one into your part...
Probing is not rocket surgery. Call Mazak, they will send you a manual.

I looked through all the mazak operating manuals. I don't see anything about the probe other than its an option.
Like Empower said you would want to talk to an ap engineer with Mazak. He could get you going in the right direction and guide you.

quite simple. When you first load your parts into whatever fixture you are using you need to pick the part up correct? Ok I would use the probe manually to rough in my workoffsets, because our Mazak would not run probe routines in MDI. I would come in like a edge finder and set my x and y and on top to set my z. With those locations stored I could run the probe routine from within the program.
I get why you did this...sort of. I got sick of jogging my probe to all the different spots before running the probing routines in MDI. I spent maybe 30 minutes writing a macro that I now place at the beginning of every program. It sets my work offset (usually) within about 0.003" of actual, and then I copy and paste probe routines into the program and push play. Hand jogging the probe into a part, even slowly, increases the chances of damaging a probe significantly, and sort of redundant. At that point you might as well spin an edge finder and go that route, no?

Back