What's new
What's new

HRT160 motor overheat alarm help?

DSMWerks

Aluminum
I just bought a low hour HRT160. It is a 2020 model and sigma 5. My mill is a 2013 VM2 also Sigma 5. The person I bought the HRT from I can vouch for and I have talked to the Haas tech that took it off the machine and got it ready to ship that it was working fine. I plugged it in while powered down as normal, selected setting 30 for HRT160 P3 for sigma 5, powered down, powered up and homed the machine. I got an A axis overheat alarm. It would not reset so I powered down, disconnected the air brake and powered up and homed machine as normal. But I need the brake. I had Haas send me the parameters for the HRT160 P3 and double checked them all line by line. They all match. If I plug in the air brake it will alarm out instantly. I took the side panel off and it is dry and clean inside. I was told there may be a manually operated solenoid button but can not find it. Where would you go from here before paying 4 hr drive time and 4 hrs service call? Any one in the Phoenix area that would let me drive down and plug it in your mill?

thanks,

I just picked up the same rotary directly from haas for my 2014 machine. I was told by the rotary tech there is a temp sensor in the rotary that needs to be unplugged as the older machines can’t read the signal correctly. Opened up the side panel, unplugged the sensor and done. No issues as of yet.

Oh wow that would be awesome! Does anything in here look familiar? How long now have you been running with no issues?

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 13
It's the sensor with the blade connectors. I can't remember if I took both of them off or just one. I can look tomorrow morning. Or, if you can't wait, just test it out.

Oh wow that would be awesome! Does anything in here look familiar? How long now have you been running with no issues?
the 2 pink connectors are the temp/pressure sensor from the looks of it. could be a pressure sensor for the air brake, if it is, there will be a pressure or temp rating on the side of the metal flats or close to it.
the orange is some sort of communication, that could be a temp sensor wire, but hard to tell from the picture.

I called my old Haas Tech from CA and he was aware of this. It is in fact the two pink connectors. They are not brake controls. The newer NGC controls and rotary have an air pressure solenoid and the older Sigma 5 machines do not and they do not know what this signal is so they default to the Motor overheat alarm. If you disconnect them it is not loosing the motor overheat alarm just the pressure alarm which it can not understand. So all is great! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and mentioning what you posted to the right person got to the bottom of it.

Attachments

• fix.jpg
    fix.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 6
No problem, glad you're up and running. Thanks for posting a detailed explanation. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

RidgeCreek

Back