What's new
What's new

HTRAL for a mill? Suggestions feeds & speeds for cutting T6 using a 1/4 endmill.

lsneon

Aluminum
My normal method of just jumping into the deep end and flailing about wildly till something breaks
is getting expensive. . . Univ of UTube is helping somewhat but what I'd like to find is HTRAL for a
mill. J head Bridgeport to be sure but any clone would do. I looked on Amazon cause I thought they
made those "for Dummies" books for just about everything, but nada. Right now I could use some
suggestions for pocketing T6 with a 1/4 end mill. Thanks to all that contribute
lsneon

HTRAL isn't the best written or most comprehensive book about lathe work anyway. However the book Turret Mill Operation by John G. Edwards is probably the closest you'll get for more basic entry level information. Depending on the part complexity, milling can be multiple times more involved than most lathe work. Set up, rotary and dividing heads, precision boring etc. Then there's accessory heads such as the Volstro's and others that add even more complexity. All of that isn't to be found in a single book. Do a Google search for a free online PDF of Cincinnati's book, A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines. Even info about horizontal milling can be used a lot of the time for straight vertical mills as well. But there's lots of others that have been scanned & are online. This one's worth buying, https://www.teepublishing.co.uk/boo...s/no-2-vertical-milling-in-the-home-workshop/ I've been actively searching for information about machine tool operation for over 40 years and I'm still picking up new to me tips & tricks about milling simply because it's not all in one place.

As far as pocketing? If your not clearing the chips as there being created with either a shop vac or compressed air your going to ruin surface finishes, have issues with the parts finished accuracy and probably break end mills of that size. Chip re-cutting is a lot larger issue than most hobby forum posts or YT videos even mention. Even when the end mill doesn't break, the surface finish still goes to shit and you drastically reduce the end mills usable life. Almost all machining is about problem solving and the ability to use some basic logic about what may be causing any extra issues. The more you practice using what's between your ears the easier things get.

One reason there's no similar book to htral for vertical mills, is that that book substantially predates vertical milling machines. From 20 feet away it sounds like you just need to understand speeds and feeds in general. The overall goal is to have your cutting tool be as sharp after the job, as before the job. Get the right SFPM number, feed so you don't snap the cutter, and keep the pocket (however deep it is) free of chips, and you'll be good.

For my money, pockets are done well on a horizontal machine, with an end mill in the collet. Chips are easier to clear out.

Back