What's new
What's new

Hurco BMC25 tool changer crashing

irontoys

Aluminum
I have a BMC25 in my home garage. Tried running a simple 10 block program requiring 4 toool changes. When the spindle drops down for a tool change, the magazine hits the spindle. The spindle needs to be raised up .100" (+z) from current location. I had to remove drive motor and z encoder to get into garage. I guess the encoder is not where it once was. Z up and down travel referenced by mechanical switches. The tool change position is determined by the encoder. Does anyone know the way to change the encoder count when at tool change height?

Sounds like your home position needs to be reset. Isn't the tool change position related to it's home position? Not a Hurco guy, it's just a guess.
I have Milltronics and there is a parameter I can change to establish the tool change height. Mine is related to home position and would only need reseting if the limit switch needed replacing or it the changer needed to come off the machine for whatever reason.
Dave

I am not a Hurco guy either so I don’t know the parameter numbers you will have to look in the manual. There should be a gridshift parameter that needs to be adjusted. There are other ways depending on how your tool changer is setup. If there is a macro for the tool changer then there may be a position number in there that you can use or if the position is a 2nd reference position then these parameters can be a adjusted.

Stevo

Which control is it? If it's an ultimax 2 then you can alter the toolchange offset in the main parameter entry at startup. If it's a 3 or 32 I'm not sure.

After a call to Hurco tech support, I got a helpful response. They sent me a pdf file to reset parameters for the spindle height at tool change position.Their tech support on this old machine has been great. Should have it back in operation when I get home later today.

Does it have the separate encoder (not the one in the motor) mounted directly above the ballscrew?
If yes, then lift up the cover above it, loosen the three clamp screws around the encoder base and turn the encoder body. you can do this with the servos on and the z-axis will follow your movement.

If no encoder present, make sure it's calibrated go to toolchanger diagnostics, press "enter" 488 "enter" and the store t/c height softkey will appear. Jog it to the correct height, store and exit.

Rooster: Your method will work if the controller has L06F to 8.0 software.This method also involves resetting dip switches on personality board at main panel.
I was lucky. My max32 machine has software in the max 8.5 to 8.6 max3 category.
Following their (Hurco tech support) instructions, I calibrated axis and tool changer. Oriented spindle. Set current tool to "0". With spindle raised, move magazine right. Hidden code for this is ENTER,1,0,1,ENTER. Move spindle down with jog hand wheel, and adjust clearance of .500" between spindle nose and lower flange.Press store "z" softkey. There is almost no clearance between the hard stop ID block at position 1 and the spindle nose when done.Tried it out and had to make small correction. In hindsight, physically moving the encoder would probably adjust my problem, as I removed the encoder to get machine into my garage. The Hurco way was a lot easier, no climbing or fighting a coupling. Thanks to those that responded. Scott

The 488 code will still work. There were a variety of codes added after the originals to make them easier to remember. 103 will do the axis accel and turbo on/off 104 was the leadscrew map. (IIRC)

Back