What's new
What's new

Husband passed away and looking for value of South Bend Lathe

Mrs. Nelson;
As mentioned earlier this lathe has a 50 year old electronic variable speed drive and further the lathe has to be powered by 3-phase current to operate. A prospective buyer is going to want to see if the variable speed drive still works and to do so it will have to be connected to the said 3-phase power. Do you have 3-phase power at the lathe where the prospective buyer can run the lathe? Without being able to run the lathe and see the variable speed controls work the perceived value of your lathe by any prospective buyer will be lowered significantly. Here is a video of a South Bend 14 inch lathe similar to yours so that you can see how one works and how one looks when "cleaned up":

Mrs. Nelson;
As mentioned earlier this lathe has a 50 year old electronic variable speed drive and further the lathe has to be powered by 3-phase current to operate. A prospective buyer is going to want to see if the variable speed drive still works and to do so it will have to be connected to the said 3-phase power. Do you have 3-phase power at the lathe where the prospective buyer can run the lathe? Without being able to run the lathe and see the variable speed controls work the perceived value of your lathe by any prospective buyer will be lowered significantly. Here is a video of a South Bend 14 inch lathe similar to yours so that you can see how one works and how one looks when "cleaned up":

What a beautiful lathe (if lathes can be called beautiful:) It is an extremely quality piece. Yes, I should have mentioned before, there is 3-phase in the workshop. A CNC operator came over yesterday and reviewed the Bridgestone mill. This evening, a whirlpool retired lathe operator came over and tested the machine. I filmed the operation at variable speed. Unfortunately, mine has sat unused in an empty shop for 2 years now and is far from a shiny beauty... but still can provide service. I will see if I can upload a video to youtube and provide a link. I am completely out of my element here, however I will do my best to be as upfront with anything I sell. Thank you for the info and demo. Your lathe is impressive:) I welcome any comments and suggestions. Thanks

I plan to use my machines and tools until I'm pushing up daisies. What I hope and have planned for is that my wife will be financially stable and not need any of the proceeds for my tools and machines to maintain that financial stability. Have someone come in and take everything away even if it amounts to it being given away, there is no shortage of people willing to do that.

PJ, I think you are doing a wonderful job, and working very hard here.
I wish you all the best.

Gentlemen, maybe this is a good opportunity for us all to consider our "collections".
I would not like to leave my spouse with a situation like this to deal with !
Bob.
Thank you so much, Bob:) I certainly agree with you... it would be a true blessing to your family to keep your collections in order. My husband was a fun, creative and crazy guy with sooo many interests. After 45 years of marriage, I knew that he was definitely set in his own ways of doing (or not) things. I could have taken the easy way out and just had an auction... who knows, I may still do that eventually.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I sold the lathe for 2300. Seems like it was in the right ballpark. Someone offered 300 for just the steady rest, but i did not want to divide the set. I just posted pictures of the Bridgeport Series 1 (1974) on the Bridgeport forum. If any of you are familiar with this too... please comment. I certainly appreciated the info:)

Brideports are the most common and well known manual mills in the US. Price is largely determined by how nice of shape it's in and what attachments, fixtures, and tools you have to go with it.

Brideports are the most common and well known manual mills in the US. Price is largely determined by how nice of shape it's in and what attachments, fixtures, and tools you have to go with it.
If you spare a moment, please look at the pictures on the Bridgeport forum. I have a lot of bits, 3 vices, a rotating table. I would link to that forum if you can tell me how. It has had very little use in the last 3 years. All original paint and the measurements screen works. Either way… thanks

If you spare a moment, please look at the pictures on the Bridgeport forum. I have a lot of bits, 3 vices, a rotating table. I would link to that forum if you can tell me how. It has had very little use in the last 20 years. All original paint and the measurements screen works. Either way… thanks

For anyone else following this:

I'm no expert here, but I'll look at it

For anyone else following this:

I'm no expert here, but I'll look at it

Back