What's new
What's new

Hwacheon engine lathe headstock noise, bearings?

Legdoc

Aluminum
I have a new to me Hwacheon HL-460, 17"x40" engine lathe at is about 20 years old. The dealer "went through" the headstock and stated it was "like new". There is a noise and what I would call a vibration very noticeable especially at the cross slide feed handle at about 400RPM but at other speeds also. Occasionally you can also feel a bump if you will. I have had the cover off he headstock and it is very clean. I am thinking it might be a bearing going bad. This is with or without the feed or lead screw engaged. I think it may be a bearing going out. Has anyone been in one of these or have any advice?
The selling dealer will probably be no help.

There are several vids on YT if you search for "lathe headstock bearing replacement", not sure if any are Hwacheon/Cadillac/Webb/Yam, but it should give you a general idea of what is involved. Does not look like the most difficult thing to do, but take lots of pics and notes.

How's the finish when you turn? If I was getting a good finish I would leave well alone.

I appreciate all of the advice. The machine turns very well with a great finish as I would expect from a lathe in this class. I'm going to run it. I did speak with the dealer late this afternoon and he reassured me he would take care of any issues for 1 year.
I'm looking forward to a little more clean up of the machine then on to cutting some metal.
Happy holidays and be safe!

I would go o the local auto parts store and buy a mechanics stethoscope and listen to different area of the machine to locate the area making the noise. If it is in the headstock you can drain the oil in the stock and run it a short time listening to the area otherwise you will get a sprayed shower. Only do that for a short time though. Be careful not to get the probe in a gear. I like the hard belt idea or a loose motor or bad pulley. Good places to look at first. You have the machine on leveling pads and it is level aligned right?

If it is from belt "set" it will decrease over time as the machine is used and the belts heat and cool. If the finish is good- just using the machine makes sense.

But...If you are curious and have the time-- mark the belts with a line across all 3, loosen the tension and move 2 of the belts so the marks are now at 0, 1/3 and 2/3 of the belt diameter. Tighten the belts and see what has happened with the vibration. Any vibration from belt set should occur 3 times as often- but be 1/3 the intensity.

Back